Monday, January 11, 2010

#22 - Get a really nice camera - digital SLR

By now most of you know the story of how I always treat myself to one special birthday present, right? It all started a long time ago when a boy I was dating broke up with me (over the phone no less!) the night before my 23rd birthday. Totally. Lame. Although now, surprisingly enough, I'm kind of grateful he pulled that old scum-bag move. I don't miss him in the least, doubt we would've made it in the long run anyway, and well...he kind of propelled this groovy little tradition I'm now seven years into following.

This past September, when I turned 30, I deemed myself worthy of a particularly special, somewhat expensive birthday present. Because...th-ir-ty. (In fact, I allowed myself two very special presents, which is actually breaking my own rule a bit. Still. I like to think big birthdays call for broken rules.)

I'd known 30 was coming for, well, 30 years, so over the past couple I tried to sock away a little bit of cash when I could. $10 here or there until I finally had a wee bit of birthday spending money as a reward.

I don't often drop a lot of cash all at once and I can tell you my nerves were a tiny bit wracked as I forked over a chunk of money for this present for myself. There was even a moment where I came close to talking myself out of this present completely. But in the end, it was something I'd wanted, something I'd researched, planned, and worked for. So I did it. A few months ago I finally bought myself my very own digital SLR camera. Hoorah. Now I'm suddenly one giant step closer to getting better at photography.

Next step is to get really good at using it. Perhaps it's time to edit that life goal of mine from getting a really nice camera, to using that really nice camera.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have a secret--Russ bought me a new camera for my birthday and I wanted a really cool one, that was easy to use and always took awesome pictures....well...he kind of got me one that is OK but not fantastic. Which makes me sad because I can't justify buying a new one, nor do my pictures come out all that awesome....they are frequently blurry. Although maybe that's because I'm often taking pictures of a moving target :) Anyways, congrats on your new camera and I can't wait to see the pictures you take! :)

MOM said...

You're so like me, Kel. After I got my MBA and finally had a good paying job for the first time in my life, the first expensive item I bought for myself was a Minolta SLR camera that cost $300+ in 1976. I was SO NERVOUS about making that expensive purchase. But I took the very best pictures with it and LOVED it. I still have it and remember lugging it around documenting special times. Enjoy your camera. You deserve it.

heidikins said...

Um, I think I'm adopting this tradition. Although, to be fair, I take myself to Phoenix every year for my birthday and attend the Used Book Sale and buy insane numbers of fantastic bookery and crazy-low prices.

....but...I do like your idea...yes, perhaps will adopt anyway.

xox