Every once in awhile, usually in the middle of a discussion with my boss or when interacting with a store employee (usually a “kid” who is at least ten years younger than me) I’m struck by the fact that they never knew me as a child or as an awkward tween or even as a college student. They know me only as an adult – or, maybe in the case of those high school kids working the register at Target – as just plain old. See, in my head, I sometimes still feel like that scrawny middle-schooler that we all were once, the girl that adults didn’t take seriously because she was “just a kid.” Now, even at 30, I sometimes surprise myself by playing devil’s advocate at work if I disagree with a decision or by pushing back if a clerk isn’t treating me the way a customer is supposed to be treated. In those situations, what shocks me even more than the fact that suddenly I’m old enough to be a person who does those sorts of things is the fact that someone actually pays attention when I do them.
Earlier this winter my friends and I rented a ski house for a weekend. My girlfriend Erin and I organized the event, sending emails to our group, finding a place to stay, and collecting money for the weekend. When
What really blew my mind with the whole ski house thing, however, was that we were just able to, well, do it. No one had to check with their parents to get the okay, or ask if they could borrow the car for the weekend, or make sure it was alright if so-and-so drove. That’s the kind of thing that boggles my adult brain once in awhile. Suddenly – and of course it feels sudden – we’re all just "old enough," no questions asked.
Yes, you do some crazy things when you’re "old enough." For instance, you and a friend might start talking about wanting to take a trip together. The two of you could possibly start emailing about pros and cons regarding certain destinations. And then, once you’ve narrowed your travel choices down, you just might meet for drinks and begin to plan an itinerary for touring a certain country. And then, possibly, you both start watching airfare and figuring out what calendar dates work for the two of you to travel. So when that really good airfare pops up for ten days at the end of May? You can look at each other, mentally freak out just a tiny bit about plunking down that charge onto your credit card, and then – in that very next moment – you can just do it. As a 30 year old, responsible, working adult who really answers to no one but yourself? You can smile with your friend and then you can go ahead and book that round-trip ticket to
Even if you still feel like you should go ahead and ask your parent’s permission first.
5 comments:
That's right, lady! We are grown-ups who are going to IRELAND. Nevermind that I just got my credit card bill with the ticket on it and nearly had a coronary... it will be awesome. ;) I just got excited. Again.
That looks like so much fun! I'm jealous. Once you have kids, the permission thing comes back into play, only it's more if you can find a babysitter than if you can borrow the car. So enjoy unfettered adulthood with me in mind, back in the States, with a grade schooler and a toddler and a dream to someday go overseas...
If it makes you feel any better, PERMISSION GRANTED! I'm jealous regarding your trip but you'll have a great time being the professional adult woman you are! Have fun and take lots of pictures to share when you get home. Kiss the Blarney stone once for me.
I have said for years now that I am an adult by default. Now that I am a parent there is really no getting around it. (There is some play on words with "default" and enterint parenthood/pregnancy/etc but I am too tired to fully realize the wit).
As for Ireland, you will weep it is so lovely. I have never seen so many different greens in my life. I also never felt more at home. Not too many fair-skinned, red heads in my native Greece.
Musts - Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, Guinness Brewery, Blarney Castle and any woolen mill you can find. Ten years later and I still wear that sweater.
And I love your mom - "permission granted", in all caps. Because, even as adults, sometimes we still like the ok.
O.M.G! Awesome! Go yOu! and ps. can you tell me via email more about your plans? what part are you visiting? any helpful sites to look at for sightseeing? why, because in about a year my mom and I are going to Ireland! I have a place picked out but its not definite, so I'm always looking for tips and pointers deals and steals.
Post a Comment