Thursday, July 15, 2010

Onwards and Upwards

So. The big news - and what's been keeping my posting light as of late - is that I accepted a new job two weeks ago. Seeing as I've never been very good at keeping secrets I thought it'd be smarter to say nothing at all then give even the slightest hint a change might be on the horizon as I went through the interview rounds. Plus, I'm superstitious about these kinds of things.

However, now that it's official and all systems are a go, I'm happy to spread the word. This new position is still with my current employer so I won't be leaving my office location or changing my commute or heading back to the new office drawing board knowing nary a soul as I roam the halls or head to meetings. But, my team, my work, my book list and the routine I've known for years is changing, drastically.

I'd be lying if I told you all these changes and differences didn't make me a little nervous. Oh, those leaps of blind faith can be nerve-wracking! It's tough to decide to leave a job not because you're unhappy, but because you've hit the proverbial glass ceiling and it's time for new challenges. It becomes hard to walk away from a team you've grown to love, a position you've made your own for almost four years.

But it was, it is, time.

I remember, right out of college emailing my friend Mark about my decision to move to London. He asked how I was feeling, to which I replied: "both excited and scared." Mark replied in a one line, typical of him: "That's exactly how you're supposed to feel, Kel. Duh."

Fair enough.

I'm not too proud to tell you that the night I accepted this new job, after a friend took me out for a glass of champagne and we toasted my success, I had a mini freak-out. ('Tis just in my nature to play the what-if game, gang, I can't help it.) Around 3 in the morning, I found myself lying in the dark, wondering what in the world I'd just done. In an effort to calm my crazy-self down, I took a deep breath. As I rolled over on my side I looked around my bedroom, illuminated in the moonlight. It dawned on me that two years ago I worried I'd made a huge mistake by moving out of an old apartment and leaving a certain neighborhood in order to come to this place - my charming little apartment, this lovely neighborhood. In the weeks leading up to that local move, I greeted more than one witching hour by tossing, turning, and mentally freaking out about my choice. In the end though? That decision was truly one of the best I've ever made.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

I have been sleeping soundly every night since.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Congratulations!!! This is such exciting news. It sounds like you're at peace with your choice now so I hope you have the whole weekend to celebrate your new endeavor.

MOM said...

One thing I read recently about change is, "It's OK not to know how it will all turn out." I felt an immediate calm about all the potential changes I may or may not make in the next several years. Don't lose the excitement of the unknown. Yes, some decisions you make will ultimately lead to "What was I thinking?", but most will turn out OK along this journey called LIFE. Proud of your accomplishments and wishing you much success always....MOM

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new gig, Kelli! From my own experience, the changes I'm most nervous about usually end up being the best decisions. I try to remind myself of that when I freak out about potential life changes on the horizon. I think it's great that you're taking the chance and embracing something new.

091057 said...

A well deserved promotion. The academic publishing world is in for a surprise.

heidikins said...

Congratulations!! So exciting! I'm so very happy for you!

xox

Akkire said...

yay! congratulations, grrl. movin' on up. next you'll be moving to a sweet apartment on comm ave or in back bay!

love to hear more deets on what it is you'll be doing in this new role.

Lisa said...

you know I commented on this post ages ago. But never hit publish because Aliza distracted me....two year olds are good like that! :)
What I said was CONGRATULATIONS!!! And, as I'm sure you know, change, although difficult, is generally always good. This change sounds perfect--a new job, but not a new location, or new friends or new commutes....just a little change, not a great big one. Have fun and good luck! :)