Friday, July 02, 2010

Red, White, and Blue.

For as long as I can remember, I've been enamored with Independence Day. I'm a summer girl through and through and to me there's nothing better than a day spent in the sun, with family and friends, grilling, lounging, eating, and drinking a few cold beers.

Of course as a kid there was a bit more splashing in the pool and a little less drinking of the beers but the fundamental parts of the day remained the same - people gathered together on a lazy summer afternoon in honor of our country. And the fireworks. Oh, how I never tire of the fireworks that blaze up the evening sky on the 4th. As we get older, we all tend to grow a bit more cynical and jaded. Things, places, and events that left us in awe as kids don't always hold the same weight when we become adults. So perhaps what I love the most about this holiday is that for a few brief minutes, once a year, we all turn into little children again - oohing and aahing, heads turned up to the sky, marveling at the colorful explosions above with the best of them.

I love this country, I love this holiday weekend. Here's hoping you all enjoy it as much as I do. Happy 4th.

2 comments:

USMC said...

Stars & Stripes Forever. Semper Fi.

Mom said...

Well said, baby girl. I wish I had someone to BBQ and go to the pool with tomorrow...and of course the fireworks. Like colorful sprinkles of star dust falling from the sky. I'll oooh and ahhh with fellow Americans at the park and hope this nation survives forever.