I carried this “tradition” of picking up coins from the ground when I left home for college. In fact, during my first semester at school, I distinctly remember having a very near miss with a T trolley car in an effort to rescue a dime on the above-ground train tracks one afternoon.
As a 31 year old, I still hunt for that loose change on the ground. If I spot it, it is utterly impossible for me to walk away, ignoring it. There’s money! On the ground! And of course, there’s luck. My Mother still picks up every coin she spots too. Right now she’s got a collection jar in her kitchen, one she’s keeping for Stephen while he’s deployed; sending luck his way with every penny she finds.
On my end, I think of my mother every time I spot a coin on the ground. Always, I make a silent wish when I scoop up my found lucky money before sticking it in a coat pocket. It’s been a long Fall and lately these days, I could use just a pinch of luck thrown my way too.
******
I have a serious boot addiction. To be honest, a Fall season rarely passes by without me making yet another boot purchase, one almost always justified with the same sentence: “Well, we live in a city where boots are a necessity! It’s not like I won’t wear them.” And then, boom, I click purchase. So it went with my most recent pair, ones that were so delightful and gorgeous and so on sale and utterly my style, that it truly would have been a crime to pass them up. When they arrived it was love at first sight and we’ve been rather inseparable ever since. It wasn’t until the third or fourth time wearing them though, that I even glanced at the soles of my shoes. (I mean, really, how often does one look at the bottom of their shoes?) But there, on the bottom of each boot was a quote: “Find a penny, pick it up, and all day you’ll have good luck.” And on my left boot, directly in front of the heel? A lucky penny, inserted into the sole. Serendipitous, indeed. And maybe just a little bit lucky, too.
7 comments:
How adorable! Great boots. I was on Ebay tonight...scrolling through the Frye boots...physically restraining myself from clicking the "purchase" button--I am a fellow boot addict, and this is my confession.
Awww, I love this! What a fantastic idea!
xox
Surely you left the lucky penny in your boot sole.
So....I'm in need of a pair of good winter boots. Any advice on a pair that will be cute and practical?
Aah, Meghan you are suddenly in need of winter boots, huh? I have to say, I bought a pair of Steve Madden's at DSW that have been great this season. They're very similar to these (and I paid about 40% less!)
http://www.stevemadden.com/Item.aspx?id=49974&np=595
I also have a pair of Jcrew boots that were pricey but have lasted (and still look great!) for 4 years...and will probably last for another 20.
My one bit of advice is avoid too much of a heel...they're just not very practical for pounding the pavement if they're not a flat boot. (I'm envious of all that boot shopping you're going to get to do! Have fun!)
(ALSO - my word verification is flati...see what I mean about the importance of a flat boot? Ha.)
I love your boots!
Cute shoes. Glad I made such an impression picking up coins through the years. I CANNOT walk past a penny on the street. I feel kinda cocky and ungrateful if I don't pick it up...you know, like being arrogant and taking the things you have for granted. Who needs an old penny? But pennies add up to dollars not to mention all the good luck that goes with finding a penny. I actually found a DIME Tuesday to add to Stephen's good luck collection of coins. That's 10 times the good luck as the usual penny!!! And never fear, dear daughter, I'm making a wish for you, too with every penny I find!!
Post a Comment