I have to say, at this point, when I start to see the flakes falling, I just have to shake my head and laugh. I chuckle as I try and walk to the T on non-existent sidewalks, I grin as I climb over snow piles whilst trying to cross the sidewalk. I smile to myself as I slip and slide while walking all over the place, I break into a fit of giggles when I look out my window to see my poor Jeep, buried head to toe in the white stuff. As the Indigo Girls once said - you have to laugh at yourself. Because you'd cry your eyes out if you didn't. So I'm doing my best to just embrace this crazy ol' winter for what it is. Nuts.There is a bit of camaraderie shaking out among even the crankiest New Englanders lately, which I get a kick out of. We're grinning and bearing it together and these storms have been so insane that we just have to raise our eyebrows and shrug collectively, all the while wondering how much more of the white stuff is going to fall before spring.
Tonight I attempted to dig my car out for the first time in a week. I can't tell you I made much progress - I'll probably be moving my Jeep sometime in April - but I did share a few conversations and how crazy is this?! moments with my neighbors, all of whom were also outside on a Tuesday evening, digging and shoveling away with gumption.
The streets are getting more and more narrow with each storm we get; which isn't saying much for a city that is already not exactly known for its wide passing lanes. While shoveling away tonight, I noticed a father and son walking toward me in the middle of the street. The father was on crutches. Surely they had chose the road over the sidewalk because they'd have more space. In between my own rounds with the shovel, I watched them move aside from time to time to let cars pass. As they came closer, I heard the son say: "Dad, there's another car behind us." To which the father replied: "He can wait. He's from New York."
Oh Boston. It's moments like that when I'm reminded all over again how crazy I am about you. Snow and all.
4 comments:
I wish we had the snow you have. Seriously. We have the bitter cold and this horrible smog, but no snow. I'd rather have snow. (For the record, I'd settle for Boston though. Would you mind sending it over?)
xox
Ah, that song has been running through my head for the past week! Billie Holiday can cure even the coldest winter blues. :) I shoveled for about an hour and a half last night, clearing a space all around the perimeter of my car. Of course, the snow is piling up again this morning... good times.
Love the remark from the father!! Great story. Keep shoveling...be happy.
Note to the guy on crutches: Big Mistake, a guy with New York tags is very likely to run over you.
Post a Comment