Monday, February 14, 2011

Heart Day.

There is red and pink and roses and chocolates and bouquets and greeting cards as far as the eye can see.

It's Valentine's Day.

And after a Monday at the office and a long evening of running errands after work I'm home, drinking a beer and eating my favorite chocolate in the world, courtesy of my Dad.

I've posted my frustrated, annoyed, and grumpy rants about this holiday in years past. I've celebrated with glee while in relationships, I've also boycotted the whole affair while part of a scheming duo. I've gone out on dates to overpriced restaurants filled only with two-tops, I've vegged at home in sweatpants eating take-out. At times when I've found myself single over this holiday I've treated myself to solo shopping trips, I've bought myself flowers. One of my favorite solo Valentine's was celebrated at 30,000 feet in the air - en route to that West Coast love of mine, San Francisco. There have certainly been years in the past when I've started rolling my eyes a week before this holiday arrives. I've planned my all black outfits, I've schemed with girlfriends over how we might convince Hallmark to dis ban completely.

This year, however, I embraced the day to its utmost potential. I opened the cards and gifts my family sent this morning, I brought in chocolates for my co-workers. I did not roll my eyes once, I sincerely wished everyone I saw - including the check out girl at the supermarket - a Happy Valentines Day. You guys. I even wore pink.

So why the change of heart? (See what I did there?) Because my cup runneth over. I have two stellar parents who are also two of my dearest friends and confidants, I have a brother who, even while deployed thousands of miles away, can send an email that makes me laugh so hard I come close to spewing coffee onto my computer screen. Friends don't get any better than the ones I've got, my job is fulfilling, and lately, my brain is bursting with so many thoughts and ideas and revelations of wonderment I can barely keep up.

In short, my life is good. My life is very, very good. And my heart is proud of that.

So Happy Valentine's Day, friends. May you too be surrounded by love and joy today...and all the days that come after.

Cheers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this! I agree...Valentine's is about appreciating the love in your life, in whatever form. Glad you had a good day!!

heidikins said...

*clinks glass.

Love this.

xox

heidikins said...

*clinks glass.

Love this.

xox

heidikins said...

...not sure why that commented twice, but hey, I'll clink twice! :)

xox

091057 said...

re: "Change of Heart"- Outstanding.

Mom said...

The focus on Valentine's Day seems to be on the romantic element...but bottom line it's about the love in your life as previously stated. And you have lots of it. And a little self love doesn't hurt either. That's why I bought myself a box of candy! Yummy. Life is good.