Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lately...

Well, I made it back from Florida safe, sound, and just the tiniest bit sun-kissed. The tan has already - sadly - faded away and I'm back to my pasty, winter in New England fair-skinned self, but it sure was fun while it lasted.

No really. It was great fun. Once the work part was finished I had two days of sun-filled, poolside luxuriousness. My Mom even came down to meet me for the weekend.

******
If you're the tab-keeping type, you probably know that tonight is Oscar Night. Or, as I like to think of it, the Superbowl of the Movie World. I am feeling rather unprepared this year compared to years past, as I've only seen a handful of the nominated films. I caught the big four though (Black Swan, True Grit, The Fighter, and The Kings Speech) so I have that going for me. And as my father and I noted, that's four more movies than he's seen this year, so I suppose all is not lost.

Do you want to know my picks? I'll name the big ones - because I cannot imagine too much of an upset in these five categories.

Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale, The Fighter
Best Actor - Colin (swoon) Firth, The King's Speech
Best Supporting Actress - Melissa Leo, The Fighter *Unless there's an upset and Hailee Steinfeld from True Grit snags it.*
Best Actress - Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Best Picture - The Kings Speech. *Unless The Social Network pulls a fast one and comes out on top.*

Anne Hathaway and James Franco host. Which will either be outstanding or terrible.
But that's the way these sorts of things usually go anyhow.

******
Yesterday was my brother's 26th birthday. This means I've proudly held the title of "Big Sister" for more than a quarter of a century. As a special surprise, I got my very own phone call from the Birthday Boy. We had over an hour of uninterrupted phone time all the way from Afghanistan and had a chance to catch up and laugh about all sorts of things. It was so great to hear his voice and I realized again, for the 800th time, that I somehow lucked out and got the best brother in the whole wide world. As we talked yesterday, Stephen asked me how things were going in my life these days. And I told him they were really, really great. I'm just happy these days, Steve, I said. I'm really, truly happy about pretty much everything right now.

Lucky Me.

On that note, I'm going to end this catch-up post with one of my new favorite songs. Listen to it and try not to feel transported to the warm beaches of Southern California. I dare you.

2 comments:

MOM said...

Glad you're in a good place in your life, Ga Ga.

As for the warm beaches of southern CA...the east coast is still THE BEST. I rarely see anyone but surfers in the cold waters of the Pacific and most of them are in wet suits regardless of the time of year.
The Gulf is actually the best over all with its white sandy beaches and warm waters. Now if only BP could un-do the damage to the coastline and the wildlife. But that's another topic indeed.

There are positives about the west coast, too. Bottom line.. We live in one beautiful country!!

091057 said...

Good picks on the Oscars, insightful and accurate as always.
Glad you connected with Stephen, I'm sure the two of you shared many laughs.