Anyway. Last Fall, I found myself alone in the laundromat on a quiet Sunday afternoon. As I folded my sheets, towels, shirts, and socks I realized I was unintentionally aligning them in a color scheme within my laundry basket. Yellows with blues, blues with pinks and corals, blacks with reds and purples and greens. Maybe it was just random coincidence, but as I pulled my last load from the dryer I realize I had a pretty aesthetically pleasing laundry basket. Which made me think that perhaps I'd been neglecting a certain side of my creativity for too long.
Yes, I write a lot and my job tends to lend itself to a certain amount of creativity. Right then and there though, as I stuffed away my bag of quarters and readied myself to haul my clean clothes back to my apartment, I realized that what I was craving was a chance to actually make something. So, instead of "thinking about that tomorrow" or allowing my color craving lobes to be appeased with laundry, I decided to nurture the little inner creative mind in my brain, the one dying to get out and MAKE. THINGS.
Now a talented painter or potter I am not, unfortunately. But jewelry? Colors? Fashion and aesthetics? That I can hold a wee little baby candle to. I enrolled in a jewelry making class and have spent at least a portion of every weekend since working away on earrings and necklaces and more earrings. Slowly, slowly I'm getting the hang of it. I made a pair last week that I deemed acceptable to give away as a birthday gift; a huge step in my mind.
Last night, I made a ring for the very first time in my life:
The other project I've been dabbling in is a little something I'm calling, for lack of a better term, notebook redesigns. I started with a plain old solid black blank book that looked like this:
After a trip to AC Moore and an afternoon of digging through a huge box in my closet where I store hundreds of eye-catching images I've been ripping out of magazines for years, I went and made this:I don't know if my style is for everyone and I'm not sure anyone else would enjoy the little trinkets I'm making but I haven't worried about that once. These days my laundry basket isn't folded quite as beautifully but I don't think my sheets mind. When the debate is between pretty gemstones and jewelry and eye-catching images? I think my laundry knows it has to take a backseat.
2 comments:
Good for everyone to find and nurture their creative side. It's such a shame that many schools are eliminating the creative classes. Creative activities feed the soul. Love your ring!
These are great! I love the ring. I would like to take a jewelry-making or knitting class this summer--I'm itching to be crafty myself.
Post a Comment