Tuesday, March 15, 2011

There's a Lesson In Here Somewhere...

This year, just like last year, I decided to give up personal shopping for Lent. Rather than pick something new to give up for 40 days and nights, my tired, worn-out wallet humbly suggested I repeat the sacrifice for another year. I am a fashion loving, bargain hunting woman by nature but I figured if I did it once, surely I could do it again. The key would be to just avoid any and all temptations. And by avoiding, I mean walking around the city with blinders on, ignoring the latest fashion displays in shop windows and all the sale! discount! buy it now! signs that beckon to pedestrians.

This past Sunday though, I hit a wee snag. You see, way back in January, I'd read that Target was releasing a designer collective under their Go International label and inviting all of the fashion designers that had partnered with them in the past five years to unveil a dress for the spring 2011 collection. Seeing as a "real" designer piece by the likes of Rodarte, Thakoon, or Prozena Schouler is so far beyond my budget I can't even fathom it, these Target pairings are exactly the kind of thing of which I like to take advantage.

The line was launched on Sunday morning.

Around 1pm on Sunday I decided I'd run to Target (innocently, I swear) to pick up random household items I needed. Things like kitty litter and paper towels.

One word: trouble.

Because of course I had to walk by the women's clothing department to get to housewares and of course I had to just take a quick little peek at the designer frocks and of course I fell - swoon - instantly in love.

A better person probably would have just walked away, leaving the dress on the rack.

But, then again, that better person would also not own an adorable, mod, funky, little Jonathan Saunders dress.

I am ashamed to admit that into the dressing room I went, darling little black dress in hand. And yes, I went right ahead and looked myself in the eye via the dressing room mirror and justified my purchase. If I don't get it now, it will be gone by the end of Lent, I told myself. When Target unleashes these designer pairings they never last, my brain agreed. Like you'll ever be able to afford anything from Jonathan Saunder's line any other way Kel, echoed my mind. Even my wallet seemed to sigh and say: Fine. It's $35. Just get it already and stop debating.

So, having justified my decision to my head, my heart, my wallet, and the boss above, I left Target with the dress, a bag of cat litter and paper towels in my cart.

I wore said dress for the first time today.

Now, most of the time, I really love living alone. But every once in awhile a roommate would come in handy particularly when I'm debating whether a dress is too short or not. This morning, as I got ready for work, I hemmed and hawed over whether or not my dress, paired with tights, was appropriate for the office. (Note to self - if you're debating, it's probably too short.) Still, I decided I'd risk it. After all, I'd asked my cats and took their silence as approval. On the train ride into the office though, I kept mulling over my outfit. Perhaps I should have paired it with leggings rather than tights just to be on the safe side, I thought. When I got into work I walked immediately over to my office neighbor's desk. "Do you think my dress is too short?" I asked.

She looked up, giggled. "Um...it's pretty short, Kel."
"Ugh. I knew you were going to say that. It's the tights, isn't it?"
"I don't even think it's the tights as much as it gets really short when you sit down."
"UGH! Why didn't I sit down this morning when I was getting ready?! Should I get leggings?"
"Well...I do think leggings would help. I mean, it is super cute! If you had leggings it would just look like a really long shirt...which is, uh, kind of what it is."

So, off I went on my lunch hour to H&M, to break my Lent pact again and shop again and spend money again on a pair of dark black leggings. Of course, the minute I had the leggings on I felt 10,000 times more office appropriate and my dress (long shirt. details. whatever.) totally came together in the end. Phew.

But, if -ahem- someone in charge upstairs wanted to prove a point, I get it. They win. I've got some pay it forward work to undo this guilt of breaking Lent.

Maybe I'll start by suggesting that this model should wear dark leggings too. Either that or just never, ever sit down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cutest long shirt ever! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL, I love this story...and I LOVE the dress!

Looks and Books said...

I made a similar no-shopping pact with myself just yesterday--since I'm going on vacation in a month, and getting my hair done this weekend (so expensive!) I told myself I'm cut off until May. And...then ten minutes later I saw a cute trench coat online, saw it was Target, and promptly bought it. I was SO CLOSE to also getting one of the designer dresses. The only thing that saved me was that I couldn't choose just one. So weak, we are.

Glad you got a cute dress though! And leggings always come in handy (or leggy?).

Mom said...

Wow...that IS a short dress (conservative me)! You would be sent home from school if you were judged by the picture of the model showing the dress shorter than arms' length. Remember those days??