On Sunday, after attending a lovely Easter church service with my Dad in my hometown, heading out to brunch together at a neighborhood breakfast spot, and spending a few quick moments soaking up some gorgeous April sunshine on his back deck, I climbed into my Jeep to start the long, traffic-filled, stop and go journey back to Boston. Nothing helps your relaxing, getaway weekend come to a screeching halt like miles and miles (and miles) of backed up traffic along the Connecticut/Massachusetts border. Aaah. It's simply heavenly.
Still, I eventually made it back to the city all in one piece, not too much worse for wear. Truth be told, I don't mind a few hours alone in my car. I find I do some of my best thinking as I log miles on the open road.
Plus, when I'm not busy doing all that thinking, I have plenty of time to reconnect with my treasured Ipod. As I drove along Sunday, I let my Ipod roam freely through shuffle, only skipping songs occasionally and only if my mood wasn't exactly meshing with the tune. I belted out a few show tunes, I grew thoughtful on the slow stuff, I may or may not have improvised a few dance jams while in the drivers seat when the fast stuff came on. When asked, I find it almost impossible to name favorite songs, because there are so many wonderful songs out there that I've loved since the very first moment I heard them. However, after giving it some serious thought on Sunday, I decided that these three songs are three I cannot imagine ever skipping over on my Ipod. I will share them with you, now:
It's funny, to me, seeing as a few of my absolute favorite singers (Sarah Harmer, Ingrid Michaelson, Eva Casssidy) and bands (The National, Bon Iver, The Black Keys)don't pop up instantly. Oh, I love them plenty, believe me...but even I'm not always in the mood for Justin Vernon or the lovely Sarah Harmer. The minute I hear the opening chords of the above three though, I cannot stop listening. Ever. They're random, they are all very different, and there's really no rhyme or reason beyond the fact that I love them. Which I guess is as good as reason as any.
Now. Tell me about your can't ever skip it tune. I've got another road trip in a few weeks and my Ipod is looking for an update.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment