Thursday, May 05, 2011

Homecoming

So my little brother made it back from Afghanistan to the grand ol' US of A on Sunday afternoon. I suppose the timing could not have been more perfect.

My mother drove across the country to be there, in sunny California, to welcome our favorite Marine home. Wunderdog Bailey came along for the ride as well; clearly excited to sport his military bandanna.

We are all quite proud of my little brother, you see. Not only has he finished his second tour in Afghanistan, but on Sunday, he was promoted to Captain. Which confirms, once again, that my brother is a bad-ass.

And yet he's still my little brother. And as the big sister, I still get to call him Stevie. Captain or no captain. He's my confidant, my pal, one of my favorite people in the world, a fella I continue to lean on and laugh with and adore with all my heart. I am so grateful he's home safe and sound...and that it's just a matter of time until I can give him my own sisterly hug, high-five, and salute. The exact order of those three still to be determined.

Welcome home, kiddo.

5 comments:

heidikins said...

Oh goodness, yay for Captain Steve!! I got all teary and my heart caught in my throat just reading this! I'm so happy he is back on American soil!

xox

Beth said...

I'm so happy he's home safe and sound. I too cried when I read this. What a brave brother you have. Give him an extra hug and thank you from my little family. Wow, a Captain. I love how he'll always be your Stevie.

vek said...

Welcome home! A big hug and a big sigh of relief to you all.

Karen said...

I am so glad he is home and so proud of him, too! Have a great visit with him, Kelli!

Mom said...

Early 1985 you attended the birthday party of a friend who had an annoying little brother. I was pregnant not knowing whether we were expecting a girl or boy. You told me after the party that you had changed your mind...you didn't want a brother after all.

When Stephen was born I called from the hospital to tell you the news saying, "Sorry, Kelli, but you have a brother." In your sweet 5+ year old little voice your forgiving reply was, "That's OK, Mommy."

You immediately accepted your little brother and was so proud to be "the big sister". He was OUR BABY. You were so helpful. I have watched as you continue to delight in that role...being the big sister, friend, confidant, etc. for our boy. Now aren't you glad you got a brother??
He is so special...and so are you.