It feels like eons, though it was really only two weeks ago, that I went off to our nation's capitol for the weekend. The prime reason for this DC adventure was the fact that one of my oldest high school buddies was tying the knot...and naturally, she decided to throw a party to celebrate.
I have known this trio of girls since our freshman year in high school. Which, when we finally sat down and did the math over cocktail hour, means we've known each other for (gasp!) 17 years. 17! I am getting old enough to have known people for more than a decade! In some ways, this is mind blogging. In others, it's just a certain kind of awesome.While not exactly a fan of attending weddings solo, I have to say, in recent years, I've become quite adept at it. Somehow, having a few Shawnee High School girls around makes the solo thing a much easier pill to swallow. Mostly because we SHS ladies like to hit the dance floor.

When the wedding festivities died down the next morning and my dear New Jersey ladies each headed their respective ways, I stayed in town to visit an old college friend of mine; one I hadn't seen since my last trip to DC, way back in 2007.
She lives on "the hill" (Ahem. DC speak for Capitol Hill.) so we spent the rest of the weekend wandering about, eating good food, exploring one of the cutest - no, seriously, I kind of want to live there -neighborhoods ever, and indulging me, the tourist.

I have always liked Washington, DC; even as a kid I could tell it was a smart, hip, yet unpretentious city. As a grown-up, having lived in a few different cities myself, I tend to look at spots from a little bit different perspective, namely the could I live here? one. And with DC? My answer is yes, indeed. It is a city that certainly has its movers and shakers, no doubt. And yet there's also this hint at a small town feel, a laid back vibe. Must be that whole bordering Virginia/heading down South thing. Whatever it is, I dig it. A long time reader and fan of Maggie Mason over at Mighty Girl, I have recently been inspired by her "packing light" series. She documents both herself and other friend's travel outfits and packing styles in a way that helps showcase just how much and how many versatile options one can squeeze into a carry on. Over-packer that I have a tendency to be, I decided this weekend trip was a good test for an attempt at packing smart.
Here's how I did:
Boots: Kohls
Skirt: Gap
Shirt: H&M
Dress: I can't remember, I've had it for so long. Maybe Dillard's? or Macy's?
Shoes: Target (and so comfortable. Seriously.)
Wrap & Earrings: H&M
Shirt: H&M (Not the same one from the day before, though apparently I was on a gray kick when packing...)
Skirt: American Eagle from exactly 6 million years ago.
Awesome feather earrings that you can't see: Forever 21
I didn't get a shot of my Sunday outfit, but I rocked the same denim skirt from Friday with a nautical striped top from Banana Republic. (Because I cannot. get. enough. of. the. nautical. stripe.) Along with my pjs, toiletries, and a sweater for the plane, this was it. 3 pairs of shoes total, a weekend of outfits, and cocktail attire all in my carry-on.
I vote mission successful all around.
3 comments:
Rockstar packing, that black dress is fantastic!!!
xox
Thanks Heidi! I actually wasn't sure about it when I pulled it out of the closet...I think I've had it for 10 years or so. I suppose that's why the LBD is a classic! XO
I wish I could learn to pack so light. I came home from California and unpacked 2/3 of the items unworn. However, I must admit that I was packing for a cross country drive where the weather can vary greatly...and indeed it did in California. And Flagstaff, AZ was cold and windy when I arrived so the long pants came in handy. Shorts to long pants and a fleece...all in one vacation. Congrats on your packing light success.
Post a Comment