Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Soapbox.

At this point, I feel it's pretty clear where I stand on the whole e-reader phenomenon. I know a lot of people love them, I have dear friends who adore them. These friends say they actually read more now that they have their precious e-readers and don't miss holding an actual book the way that they thought they would. These are friends that are voracious readers, friends I love, some of whom I would trust with my life. They tell me about the travel benefits, the space saving bonus, the pleasant screen, the books at their fingertips phenomenon. I listen and I get it. Kind of.

If you have an e-reader, fine. To each his own. I vote everyone picks and chooses what makes them happiest. Really, I do.

But.

They are so not for me.

And the amazement and wonder of an e-reader is something we are going to need to just go ahead and agree to disagree on.

I read headline after headline about book stores closing around the country. At first it seemed to only hurt a handful of shops here or there, ones that were perhaps overpriced to begin with or already dealing with a lousy location. Then the box stores started shuttering their doors, declaring Chapter 11. And lately, in my very own city - where just a few years ago a favored, local, independent shop
forced a Barnes & Nobles to shut its own doors when it set up shop two blocks down the way, I find I am reading article after article about small, charming, lovely little shops being forced to close due high rents, slower sales, online purchases, and e-readers. Earlier this week I read that the very first store I ever set foot in here in Boston (or, Cambridge as it were) way back in 1997 would be closing at the end of the month.

I mourn for every single store that is lost and I do no exaggerate in the least when I tell you that every closing breaks my heart.

I spend a lot of hours at my job talking, emailing, meeting, and analyzing e-books. There is much debate about the printed book, the price of e-books, and on, and on, and on. I cannot tell you how many times I meet a friend of a friend or random acquaintance and the second they learn I work in publishing ask me - is the book dead?

I'm not quite sure how the e-reader trend will play out. I don't know how this will all end, though oh I pray it does not unfold the way I fear. I can tell you that I shop more at real, live, standing bookstores more than ever now, avoiding even Amazon whenever possible. I, personally, know I will continue to recoil in horror when someone suggests an e-reader for me and if I know you personally you can absolutely count on me never giving you one of your own as a gift. I will continue to lovingly gaze at my own bookshelves at home, running my hands over each book's spine and fondly recalling which books I purchased where and when. I will dog-ear pages and break spines and smell the delicious smell that only a real bound book can have. I will let people see what I'm reading, I will continue to check out what other non-e-reader users are carrying on their commutes. One of my cure-alls for a gloomy day has always - always - been to treat myself to a trip to the bookstore, knowing the minute I walked inside I'd feel better. On this I will still rely.

And while I sit in my meetings at work or scan the latest headlines I will hope and pray that I never know a time when I sit down, a grandchild on each knee, and tell them about these magical places that used to exit called bookstores.

Because if my heart breaks with every store I see close? Losing the lot of them will kill me.

4 comments:

heidikins said...

I am so with you on this point. I can see the benefits of an e-reader, but I choose paper books instead. What happens when you have downloaded your entire library onto your Kindle/Nook/Whatever, and then they change the format? Will you repurchase/re download everything in the new form? How do you pass that kind of information along to a child or grandchild?

I'm with you, bound books ALL the way.

xox

Kelli said...

Oh heidikins. Exactly. EXACTLY. I still have a very beloved copy of Black Beauty that used to be my grandfather's. Its pages are yellowed and coming slowly unglued from the spine but I LOVE IT. It's where I first read and discovered the beautiful story that is Black Beauty...and the fact that it'd been passed along to me made it all the more special. I'll see you in the bookstores!

091057 said...

Think I'll just sit down, pick up my book, and turn some pages now.

Mom said...

You go girl! Agree with you 100%. I guess next will be no libraries! The "library of Congress" or the "New York City Public Library" or the "Presidential Library" would all become "museums" instead. It's mind boggling! I hope this doesn't happen in my life-time if at all. I don't want to be here to see it.
The news reported last night that cursive is on it's way out, too. The schools that have dropped teaching cursive say that students don't write anymore. They use a keyboard or text, so why bother to teach someone how to write? OH MY GOSH! Can you imagine? Now not only will there be future generations who can't make change but they can't write either!!

There should be room for both the hand held paper books as well as the Kindle. Why do we have to dispose of everything good just because something new comes along?

I'm about ready to check outta here.