Thursday, October 06, 2011

Fitness Plan

This evening, after work, and almost two years in, I quit my gym membership. My attendance has been severely slacking over the past few months, my wallet has been hit with 1-2 punch expenses left and right lately, they raised the monthly fees again a month ago even though they charge an exorbitant amount per month already, workplace has recently added a small smattering of gym equipment in the first floor of our building that employees can use for free, I'm already taking yoga classes at a discounted price through work, and if I ever want to take more riding lessons again...well, I'm going to need some money to pay for them.

I know I feel better when I do some sort of physical activity during the day, I appreciate how important it is to stay in shape. I realize I am now going to have to force myself to go downstairs right after work and use the equipment provided, I should take advantage of various yoga studio Group-Ons and the like now that I won't be bleeding a monthly membership fee. I imagine I will sleep better knowing I'm not throwing away money, I won't feel the need to berate myself every time I walk past the gym and realize it has been a week or more since my last visit.

Tonight, when I walked into the gym and announced my intent to quit I expected a fight. I imagined a manager coming out of the back room to see me, decided if they wanted to haggle membership rates what my final offer would be. Instead, the woman at the desk asked why I was leaving, nodded as I told her I thought it was getting to be too expensive, handed me a form to sign, and with a quick "Okay, sign here and you'll be finished in 30 days" I was out the door. I expected I would have to explain myself and my reasoning more. In fact, a small part of me thought I might even be talked out of leaving.

I quit for all the right reasons, I'd worked it all out in my head. I have a plan B. So why does a part of me feel like I ended up failing; that I didn't end up totally fulfilling a workout goal I'd had in my head - however unspecific it might have been when I signed up for the gym two years ago?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good decision, not a failure. I will start using the work gym with you!

Mom said...

You fall into the same category as most. Not enough time to do it all. You made the right decision. Dropping my theater season tickets made me feel bad, but I have missed more shows than I've attended in the past two years. Time to put the money elsewhere. You've got other options at work now(yoga and the gym) that won't be costing you if you can't make it. Therefore, less guilt, less expense. Good idea from Amy to buddy-up. You get more exercise than most just walking around the city. Pat yourself on the back for being smart about facing reality and making the necessary change.