The Fall is when I start to delve back into the world of movies and television, for as much as I try to keep up with my entertainment options during the summer, I always fare poorly. (That's what happens when it's NICE and WARM and DAYLIGHT LINGERS FOR HOURS but I digress.)
Earlier in September I finally wrapped up The Wire. Yes, I know. You and everyone else you know realized it was one of the most phenomenal, amazing, well written television shows ever created way back in 2002. Alas. I am notorious for discovering shows years after the fact. (Case in point - The Gilmore Girls? Fantastic. Didn't start watching it until 2006. It ended in 2007.) Seriously though if you're one of the few who have yet to watch The Wire? Stop reading right this instant and dig into Season 1. It's going to take a little while to get hooked, but don't give up because it is all so, so worth it in the end. I heard an interview with producer David Simon where he said if they'd done their jobs right, The Wire should feel like a novel - complete with a beginning, middle, and an end. Trust me when I tell you that they succeeded. It's been a month since I watched the final, fulfilling episode of Season Five and I still find myself thinking about the cast of characters on a regular, almost daily basis.
I'm breaking my M.O. a bit with my next show, in that I'm only one episode away from being completely caught up and on track with its' current season. When I was out in California visiting my brother, he suggested we watch the first episode of The Walking Dead together. Not really one for zombies, I was pretty sure I'd hate this show. Um, wrong. I'm mildly obsessed with it. My friend and I were talking about it the other day and he said it perfectly - 'It's nothing really new or that different. We've seen zombie stories hundreds of times before. It's just incredibly well done and captivating.' And it is. Plus, with Halloween right around the corner, it's the perfect time of year to tune in. See? Look at me, embracing Fall!
Yesterday Netflix delivered another series I am most excited about. (I'm going to go ahead and save my rant about Netflix for another day...) That series is another one you may have heard of, one that is also all the rage right now, called Downton Abbey. A good friend and fellow Anglophile mentioned the series to me all the way back in the spring and I told her I'd check it out as soon as I'd wrapped up The Wire. One show at a time, after all. Of course I'm expecting grand things. It's a period piece set in England. How could I not like it?
Beyond that? Well there's always Dexter and Breaking Bad...oh, and eventually that little show set in the '60's that everyone seems to enjoy so much will be back on AMC. But at least I'm all caught up on that one already.
No comments:
Post a Comment