Saturday, November 05, 2011

A Nice Little Saturday

Today is the first day I've had completely and utterly to myself since before Labor Day. I have no where I need to be, no plans, no commitments. I have made absolutely zero promises to anyone. I'm free! Free at last! There are no planes to catch, no road trips to make, no adventures to be had beyond the ten block radius of my house.

This is not to say all of my other recent weekend adventures have been tedious - far from it. But there's something extra special about a day you can call all your own...particularly if its been a long time coming.

Thursday night a good friend called, offering me a free seat at a young professionals table at some fancy, swanky gala her workplace was hosting tonight. I hesitated for the briefest of seconds...it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity! And I'm sure it would be fun! An adventure! one side of my brain said. I paused, took a breath...and then I turned her down. Saturday's my day, I explained. I've been looking forward to it for ages.

I'm slightly embarrassed (and also slightly proud) to tell you that I successfully made it through the entire month of October without doing any laundry and I'm not even that low on underwear...which is on track to successfully prove my friend's theory that I could probably go three months without washing anything. Still, the pile is high - a laundry basket and three huge reusable shopping bags I've never seen it this big high - so it must be tackled. I've got a newspaper from two Sunday's ago that I've yet to read, I've got the second disc of the Downton Abbey series to watch, I picked up Mindy Kaling's new book from the library, I've got returns to make at the mall, groceries to buy, errands to run, and an apartment to clean. Doesn't that sound like the most routine Saturday you've ever heard of? And yet I'm looking forward to tackling each and every single one of my projects like you wouldn't believe. Heck, I even made a list so I wouldn't forget any of the things I wanted to get finished this weekend!

In fact, last night I actually crawled in to bed excited for my planned for no-plans Saturday to start. Like a kid at Christmas, I was!

I'm not sure if my twenty year old self would be shocked, proud, or just utterly mystified by this strange behavior.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been in my pajamas all day. Heaven!

Jenn said...

Seems like a lot to do in a day! Did you get it all done?!

heidikins said...

I love days like this, do laundry, make a big pot of soup, scour the bathroom...yes, I lead a terribly exciting life!

xox