My father is moving out of the house he's been in for 17 years and out of the place that's been my hometown for 31. Perhaps, at 32, I should not be as upset about this as I am. But I am. This pending move is very, very difficult for me. I'm not quite ready to talk or write much about it; I'm not sure when I will be. I'm processing all of this as best I can, in my own way. And as well meaning as people might hope they are being, I don't particularly want to hear suggestions or "cheer ups" or thoughts about why this move shouldn't hurt my heart as much as it is. I am very sad about it. And for now, that is all I want to say.
I find myself searching for silver linings these days, often looking to the smallest uplifting moment to remind me that despite these recent upsetting and unfortunate developments, there is good to be found - always, somewhere. Last Sunday I was with some friends, talking (crying) about some of the lousy things I've been dealing with lately. "So, Kel" my friend asked me. "What's good?" I sighed, thought for a moment. "The Night Circus" I replied. We all laughed.
The Night Circus is just the book I'm reading, not some insanely life-altering moment or event, but I found a touch of good when asked. And sometimes, those touches are what we hold onto when it seems everything else around us is in shambles.
There is a woman who works at the shop where I get my coffee every morning. Up until a month or so ago I used to go to a different location closer to my office but it has recently closed. I thought I was just another face at this very busy, bustling "new" coffee shop until the other morning. As I stood in line, this woman behind the counter made eye contact with me. "The usual?" she asked, smiling and holding a large coffee cup in her hand. I smiled back. "You remembered!" I said. She smiled and said "well, you're a regular here now. Of course I did." Every morning since - no matter how long the line or how hectic things are - she has greeted me with a smile and a "Have a good day, sweetie." They always tell you that even the smallest act of kindness can have a great effect. This woman - I don't even know her name - has been a bright spot in my mornings, my days. It is a moment I look forward to every day. It probably sounds so silly, doesn't it? But it keeps me going. It is a dose of friendly kindness that I feel extremely appreciative of these days.
Once a week, I read to a little girl at a school near my office during her lunch hour. I've talked briefly about this program in the past, read to several different students throughout my years as a volunteer. This year, I was assigned a new student, a second grader. She is one of the sweetest, most charming little girls I have ever met. In fact, I find myself looking forward to my volunteer day, excited for an hour of reading and laughter with her adorable self. Last week, she gave me the card below (never mind my misspelled name). I cannot imagine you'll be surprised to hear that it was the best part of my week. Or, as she would say - my "faveret."
2 comments:
I'm so sorry the new year has brought such emotional challenges for you, Ga Ga. I wish I lived closer so I could spend more time with you. When Dad leaves Tabernacle it's a "disconnect" for me, too. Just like when my mother died and I sold the house in McRae...the end of my hometown "connection", too. I know how you feel even though you may not realize it. Life keeps moving on no matter how much we want to stop it. I'm here if you need me. And I'm still confident that the best awaits you. Keep the faith. Love you.
**Hugs**
xox
Post a Comment