Friday, February 24, 2012

Worth It.

I imagine, if Suze Orman were here, she'd tell me I was making a mistake. She might walk 'round the flowers, bouquets, and plants displayed at my local grocery store with me, perhaps even agree with me as I comment on their beauty. However, I'm sure she'd put a hand out the minute I bent to pick a bundle. "Don't." she'd state firmly and seriously, quick to remind me of looming bills and my very recent purchase of four brand new tires and other costly routine maintenance just performed on my Jeep. She'd most likely tell me that the $5.99 I would spend on these flowers ("that are only going to die," she'd remind me) would be far better off if invested. She'd lecture me about frivolous spending, doing her best to steer me toward the lettuce, the carrots, moving us away from the temptation.

And yet, on a rainy, dreary day at the end of a week where I'm craving a trip abroad something fierce and am feeling desperate to bring a little cheer home with my on a Friday evening; I believe I'd tell Ms. Orman to mind her own business. "It's not every day I bring home flowers," I'd remind her. I'd tell her that buying tulips - one of my very favorites - always puts a little spring in my step, instantly reconnects me to a place I fell in love with the minute I first arrived on a visit, The Netherlands, and, while walking home to my apartment with a bundle of fresh flowers in hand, will always make me think back to the little girl I was, who decided, around age twelve or so that one day she'd live in the city and on her way home from work, she'd stop at her neighborhood florist, greet the clerk hello, and treat herself to fresh flowers, arranged and set up every so lovely within her little flat. Plus, if I can't hop a flight across the pond right this minute, I often find nothing makes me feel more European than purchasing fresh flowers and a loaf of French bread. Girl can't help it.

Sometimes, I do believe it just might be the wiser decision to go ahead and spend a little tiny bit of money in exchange for a week of cheer and perfect loveliness, don't you? I don't anticipate having the sort of budget that allows for fresh flowers for each and every single one of my days anytime soon. But now and again, when the day calls for it? Well, Ms. Suze Orman...I find flowers can indeed be just the thing.

1 comment:

heidikins said...

I used to buy Vogue instead of dinner because I needed a pick-me-up. I'll gladly spend an evening sipping water and crunching on soda crackers to escape to another world. I feel this way now about the independent art-house movie theater in town. ;)

xox