Wednesday, April 04, 2012

March Reads

April already! Which means it's time to give the ol' run down of what I read all the way back in March.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway:


Link










I wrote a little bit about my adoration for Hemingway - or Hem as he prefers to be called - earlier last month. When I finished Unaccustomed Earth in February, I found myself in a bit of a book lull. Ms. Lahiri had set the bar high for my next read with her collection of short stories. As I sat in my apartment, pondering my bookshelves, not sure who I should turn to next, I remembered that when in doubt, I turn to Hemingway. Always turn to Hemingway. If a bohemian life in Paris during the '20s isn't really your thing (Um, how could it not be? I ask in all seriousness.) then this book isn't really for you. If however, you'd give anything for the chance to sit a spell with one of the great masters of writing and hear the sorts of tales you can only begin to imagine - rubbing elbows with Fitzgerald! Ezra Pound! Gertrude Stein! - you are in for a treat. I adored this book far more than I'd originally imagined I would. Hemingway is as witty, clever, sincere, and sarcastically charming as ever. And if you don't find yourself searching for a cheap airline ticket to Paris once you've read the final page, well...I'm going to assume you read a different book than I.

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green:













Of course, one of the pitfalls of finishing something written by Hemingway is the quiet fear that nothing you could possible pick up next would measure up. I highly recommend reaching for The Fault in Our Stars in that moment. Originally selected as our next book club read, I worried a bit when I'd read the description my friend sent 'round in her email. A young adult novel about teens with terminal cancer? Could there be a more depressing book ever? But oh, how glad I am that I gave this book a shot as it is already on my short list for best reads of 2012. The Fault in Our Stars is one of the most lovely, charming, heart-felt, genuine books I have read in a long, long time. This story is as heart-breaking as it is clever, funny, and poignant. It's the kind of book that you could easily read in a day but you'll love so much you'll take reading breaks because you want to prolong the story as much as possible. And when you do finally finish? I guarantee you will clutch this little book to your chest, sigh, and then flip right back to page 1 and read it all over again.

Room by Emma Donoghue:














After reading several books that hit it out of the ballpark so to speak, I figured it was only a matter of time before I stumbled upon a dud. And for the first fifty pages or so, I thought Room was that dud. I have to be completely honestly and tell you that I did not like this book at all when I started it. The narrator is a five year old named Jack and I had a very difficult time getting used to his "voice." The only thing that kept me from abandoning this book around the fifty page mark was knowing that I'd be annoyed that I didn't finish it every single time I saw it displayed in a bookstore. And if you frequent bookstores with any regularity you know this book is almost always at one of the stores "popular reads" tables or some such thing. The premiss of Room is intriguing - focusing on a mother and her son, held captive in an 11x11 room for years. Despite not loving it, I did care enough to know that I wanted to stick around and see how the story ended. I actually found the second-half of the book much more compelling than the first - despite having some "really?" moments as I read. All in all I am glad I stuck with the book - it morphs into a much faster read during parts two and three and it IS interesting. However, in the interest of full-disclosure, I should tell you it's already sitting in my "to sell back to the bookstore pile." And if you know me at all, you know that means I didn't care too much about the book in the end. At least not enough to give it valuable shelf space in my living room.

I don't know about you, but I'm thoroughly enjoying these little monthly run-downs of new reads. Now, what are you reading?

1 comment:

heidikins said...

A Moveable Feast is coming up on my list (in the next 3). Room is in my next 10. I am terribly excited for Hemingway!! :)

xox