This week I have come down with a rather annoying sinus cold. I brought it on myself most likely, as I always tend to, what with my scurrying around with a too busy schedule, but I'm also pretty sure the freakish weather (snowstorm on Wednesday, spring-like temps this weekend?) also didn't help matters very much. Anyway. The point of all of this is to say that I haven't been feeling so hot the past few days. I've still made it into work, but I've had to cancel some evening plans, and I've been retiring to bed quite early in the hopes of recharging my immune system. Thankfully, I'm feeling better this morning, though still not quite at 100%, which means I haven't allowed myself to do any sort of exercising since Tuesday evening. No yoga classes. No jogs. And I miss them both. A lot more than I'd have ever guessed.
Over the past few months I've fallen into a pretty great routine with a nice balance of running and yoga on alternating nights. I have been feeling stronger, healthier (well, right up until this cold hit at least) more aligned, balanced. So, basically, all the benefits they tell you over and over and over that come with consistent exercise. The yoga doesn't surprise me much, for I've been in love with that practice since my very first class taken my freshman year of college. But. The running? Wow.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I can barely believe it as I type, but I am actually desperate to feel better and get over this cold so I can lace up my sneakers and step out onto the pavement for a jog. I know, I know. I barely recognize myself. I mean, I hate running. Always have.
Call me a convert but this whole Couch to 5 K program I've been following? It's been the game changer. I know there are plenty of people who really love running - they're the 10K-ers, the marathoners. I doubt I'll ever be one of them. (I mean, I don't love it that much...) But, what I do love is how manageable, how actually do-able the whole thing has become. I work at it three days a week, I've built up to running 2.5 miles in a little under 30 minutes...which is just perfect for my schedule, my exercise regime, and my sanity. There are still moments when I don't want to do it, when I'd rather just skip a run. And it's still hard work for me. But it's hard work in a good way, a still attainable sort of way. And it's not all rainbows and kittens, there are moments during the run when I get a little bored, when I would rather just hurry up and finish instead of looking down at my app and realizing I've got at least 15 minutes more to run. I have really great days when I feel like I could keep running for another 30 minutes straight and others when I feel like I might collapse on the sidewalk and never move again. BUT. Good or bad run, I always feel so much damn better afterwards. And so I keep going. I keep pushing. I keep moving. I keep running.
Well, just as soon as this cold decides to move on to its next victim at least...
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I occasionally tried running. Liked the run a bit, walk a bit, run some more routine. And looking back I wish I had kept it up. You go girl! I'm proud of you.
Post a Comment