What the what.
Sometimes, I craft posts and updates in my head, and before I even get a chance to put pen to paper...or fingers to keyboard as it were...the moment has passed, another one has swooped in to have its moment in the sun. And of course, I have plenty of days just like everyone else does, that are rather routine and ordinary. But like Pam said in the series finale of The Office last week: "There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that the point?"
So here it is. Just an ordinary sort of update on my little world:
Last Friday I got the chance to see my most favorite musician and singer/songwriter in all the land, Josh Ritter, here in Boston.
When my friends and I were grabbing dinner before the show, I tried to count how many times I've seen Josh perform. I can name at least ten shows, rapid-fire, off the top of my head. Which probably means I've seen him close to fifteen times live. AND IT NEVER GETS OLD.
In fact, much to my frustration, I've missed Josh the past several times he's swung through the New England area, for whatever scheduling snafu or similar reason, and even with a friend's wedding in New Jersey the next afternoon, I was determined not to miss this show.
It was worth it. Of course it was.
It always is.
After taking a chunk of the winter off, mostly due to those little things called ice and snow, I'm getting back in to a bit of a running routine again. I sort of had to start over, though I didn't struggle nearly as much as I thought I would, thankfully. With the arrival of spring I started lacing up my sneakers once again, and began to build up my "tolerance" - step by step, one foot in front of the other. While I'm not sure I'll ever be a Runner - mostly because I still spend the majority of my actual running time thinking about how it'll all be worth it when I get to enjoy that beer...or ice cream...or both, after the fact, instead of just enjoying the run for the run's sake, I do know (and constantly remind myself) how much better I feel during the weeks I get my runs in and I get to those yoga classes. Funny, how that can make all the difference in the world between a lousy week and a not so lousy one.
Speaking of lousy weeks...work has been a wee bit stressful over the past month or so. We've had a lot of changes and reorgs, and while I genuinely feel it will all work out for the best in the end, we are certainly hitting our share of bumps in the road as we navigate our way there. I must say though that lately, my work frustrations have been eased a touch in knowing what's on the horizon in my own personal life. Over the past few weeks, I'll find that I can be going about my normal day, running in and out of meetings, climbing onto a crowded subway car in the morning, or scurrying across town to make a yoga class in the evening, and it'll hit me all over again - I'm going to Australia. I'm going to see that country with my own two eyes, walk around as much of it as I'm possibly able, and tuck as many moments and memories into my mind's eye that I can hold.
Which instantly makes me grin and shake my head in disbelief simultaneously.
Oh, the power of a plane ticket.

1 comment:
I had the exact same thought today about how fast this year is going. Almost half over!! And what have I accomplished. I mean PURELY for pleasure! All the usual responsibilities and LOTS of household projects behind me. But what the heck. The years are passing too quickly. Where's the FUN? You enjoy that trip to Australia! And I want to hear all about it in July! Take lots of pictures! Carpe Diem, baby girl!
Post a Comment