But hey, I'll take a nearly private yoga class any chance I can get, especially if it means we get to practice the ol' tricky headstand, one of the poses that still eludes me. (I'm getting better though!) After class was over, the teacher and I walked out of the studio together, talking. I mentioned to her how the more I come to yoga the more I appreciate how grounding the practice is, how I sometimes find myself running into someone, or knowing someone in my life who I think, "now that person needs some yoga."
******
A friend once told me, as I was explaining some personal situation the details I have long since forgotten, that the way a person treats you is almost never about you. Instead it's a reflection of themselves, of what is going on in their own world, what they're dealing or struggling with. If you think about things that way, suddenly the altercation with the rude store clerk or the asshole who cuts you off in traffic, are a little easier to stomach. I'm not excusing rude behavior of course, and it's still infuriating to be caught off in said traffic, but I find I often gain a whole new sense of perspective when I take a quick mental step back and remember that actually, this isn't about me.
From yoga I walked over to the Copley mall, intent on purchasing one of my few remaining gifts on the must-get list. I navigated the madness that is the mall on a Friday evening before Christmas, making my way to the specific store I needed. I found the item, got in line along with the rest of the world. When I finally made it to the counter I handed the woman at the register a coupon I had for $15 off my purchase. "Ooh." she sighed. "This actually expired December 15th."
"What?!" I exclaimed. "I thought it was good until the 24th?" I glanced quickly back at the little red coupon. Damn. The 15th. "AARGH." I exclaimed, beyond frustrated. "That is SO annoying! You get so many coupons this time of year it gets hard to keep them all straight!" I was so aggravated, annoyed, and frustrated at the whole situation, I couldn't help but feel steam rising above my head.
"So....um, do you want to still get it?" the woman asked.
"Ugh. Yeah. Ring it up."
As she processed my transaction I thought again about how people's reactions to things is almost always about something else. She went about her merry way, bagging up my gift, and swiping my card with ease.
"Look, I'm sorry I got so mad about the coupon," I told her.
She smiled. "Don't even worry about it! Believe me, I see mad in this line. That wasn't mad."
"I know, but it wasn't your fault I read the date wrong. I just hate not saving money when I have the chance."
"I totally, totally get it. I've been there myself."
And with that, she smiled, handed over my package and we wished one another a Merry Christmas.
******
Now about those people who I think need yoga more than anyone. My teacher gave me another thought to ponder last night. Everyone you come across in this life is here to teach you something, she explained. So maybe with that one person you learn compassion, another patience. And maybe, she said, when you think about how much that person you're interacting with is not a calming, grounded force? Maybe you just take a moment to be grateful that that's not the particular path you're working on for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment