Wednesday, December 04, 2013

War Damn Eagle

I cannot believe, and I hope you'll forgive me for the fact that I'm about to make a very obvious statement here, that as I sit here typing away, it is December.  December of 2013! And in 20 days it will be Christmas EVE!  What the?  

I'll save the I cannot get over how fast these days and weeks and years fly by for some other diatribe and instead, pass along my wishes that you all had wonderful and lovely Thanksgiving holidays last week; that you've officially recovered from too much food and drink and are jumping feet first into the madness that is the Holiday season.  For this is truly the time of year when hours move too fast, and there is so much to be done and simply not enough time in which to do it.

But back to Thanksgiving. I spent the week down in Atlanta with my Mom; it was just the two of us (plus wonder dog Bailey).  We watched a lot of amazing college football, ate plenty, did some baking, some Christmas prepping, and of course some overall lounging and lazing.

Let me come back to that comment about college football for a minute.  Having attend a school that doesn't even have a football team, let alone a second tier one, and having lived almost all of my life in the Northeast where college football fever simply doesn't exist, I can't say I have the bug utterly and completely.  However, I come from a household of college football obsessers.  (I'm not entirely sure obsessers is actually a word, but let's just go with it.)  Honestly, with a Notre Dame alum for a father and two Florida State Seminoles between my mother and brother - how could I not?  While I think I will forever be a baseball girl in my heart of hearts I do have to admit there is something wildly exciting and addicting about college football.  I'm always reminded of that when I find myself down South on game day.  Especially this time of year when the stakes are high and the rivalries intense.  And if you haven't seen the final minutes of the Auburn/Alabama game from last week yet (how's that rock you're living under?) I beg you to click on the attached link and marvel over just what can happen with a single second placed back on the clock.  I have never, ever seen anything like it and doubt we will again for some time.  I'm going to go ahead and sum up pretty much everyones reaction in two little words: Holy. Shit.

We also watched Life of Pi, which neither of us had seen before.  Naysayers come on out, but I...just didn't really get the hype.  At all.  Maybe I needed the big screen, the dark movie theater with no distractions or hell, maybe I just needed another movie entirely, because lets put it this way - Mom and I both really glad when the damn thing was over already.

I wish I had more to update you all on here with this post, but the truth is, I've been having a bit of writer's block for the past few weeks.  I've got a million things I could be posting about here, ideas flit in and out of my brain on warp speed before I have a chance to sit down and actually think on them, and then, ultimately, I find myself sitting here feeling like I have nothing to write about.  Last night though, I went yoga for the first time since I'd been away for Thanksgiving.  As we were moving through the poses, I was thinking to myself how nice it was to be "back on the mat," about how important carving out time for something like my beloved yoga classes is to me.  Which led me immediately to think about writing.  (While still on the yoga mat; which is kind of a no-no given the whole "just be present" idea of yoga, but whatevs.)  For me, writing is the other outlet I can consistently rely on to bring me happiness and contentment - even when it's hard and frustrating and I cannot, for the life of me, find the right words, I always walk away feeling better for having written; for having taken the time to dig beyond my daily to-do lists and tasks, and just think.  Create.  Even if I wad up everything I wrote and toss it into the waste bin the next day, I still always feel better post-writing session.  With a month to go in this 2013 Year of the Heart, I want to remember that - even as December madness looms all around us.  In my own little world writing brings about a sense of peace I cherish; one I need to remember to hold onto.  It's important.  She - that inner contentment - is perhaps truly the most important thing of all.

Well, that and those college football games of course.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Wish I could fly you back down to GA to watch the BCS Championship game with me January 6th. GO NOLES!