Well, the first weekend of 2014 is rapidly coming to a close. Turns out they move just as fast this year as they did last year. Bummer.
Our second snowstorm of the season hit on Thursday and continued into Friday, which gave the whole weekend an extra sort of bundle up and get cozy feeling given that crunchy white fluffy stuff piled all around us and the chilling, bitter temps encouraged plenty of hunkering down indoors.
Even with the snowstorm I still managed a rather successful weekend in this, our new year. To me a good weekend is all about balance, with plenty of chill time, a bit of being out/doing something time, and maybe a dash or two of necessary chore time. In 48 hours I managed to knock a lot off of my little list, including yoga class, lunch with a friend, a manicure, a movie date, as well as some time to just play the sort of catch up we all need in early January, updating my new paper planner, tucking away all of my 2013 concert and movie ticket stubs that I keep posted on one wall; my bulletin board ready for a new year of updates and memories.
Oh, and I also took down my lovely little Christmas tree. Dismantling a tree and packing up ornaments is a chore I hate, as it just seems so sad to box everything up for another year. Don't even get me started on the guilt that is leaving a tree outside on the sidewalk for the garbage men to collect. Still, given that my tree was bone dry, it was time. I'm looking forward to finding pine needles around my living room on a daily basis up until July.
The manicure was a treat for myself, thanks to a new salon that just opened in my neighborhood - new customer discount! - and the fact that I'm off on a business trip later this week. The movie I caught was the newest Cohen brother's flick, Inside Llewyn Davis, which I expected to love. Except...I didn't. The music is great, the acting is good, the cinematography is excellent. I just...well, have any of you seen it yet? I kept waiting for one of the hundred or so plot lines they hinted at to be developed further and found myself disappointed when they weren't. I'm still glad I saw it, of course. It's just that I went in expecting greatness and left feeling a touch deflated. At least the friend that I went with felt the same way. As the lights came up in the theater, I looked over at him and raised my eyebrows. He shrugged. "I don't know if I loved that movie." I said.
He nodded, put on his coat. "I totally agree," he answered.
"Oh, thank God," I replied. "I was thinking to myself, what am I going to do if he adored it?!"
But that's how things go right? Movies, new nail salons, anything we try. We might love it. We might hate it. There's only one was to find out.
And at least, if nothing else, at the movies there's always popcorn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I also boxed up my Christmas decorations and vacuumed up pine ten million pine needles. I swear they will never truly leave my apartment, in 10 years there will STILL be pine needles coming up from between the floor boards! (Which probably means that at least 1 million of the ten million in the vacuum bag are from previous tenants.)
xox
Post a Comment