For a short work week, these past few days have felt quite long in some regards, mostly because they've been ridiculously busy. With friends moving out to the suburbs on an all too regular basis, my past trend of overbooking myself night after night has started to fade. Over the past year or so I feel like I've fallen into a pretty good schedule of a few nights out, a few nights in. It's a pace I can keep up with, one that allows me to fall into a regular exercise, writing, and reading routine while keeping my social life moving...and maybe most importantly, doesn't leave me feeling like I've been run over by a truck by the time Friday night rolls around.
However, for some reason this week, I put my 'let's have plans for each and every hour' hat back on and haven't made it back home to my apartment before 9pm a single night this week. Tuesday it was book club, Wednesday an author event, Thursday drinks with an old friend, and last night, a concert. I'm not complaining, mind you, I'm just...well, I'm just a little tired.
When my friend and I were sorting out what time we'd meet for the show last night, I nearly balked at the 9pm start time. Because, of course, in concert speak 9pm really means 9:30...and that's just the opener. But it was a Friday night, we did already purchase the tickets for the sold out show, and really...what was I going to do instead? Hunker down on the couch knowing I was missing a show I'd waited months to see?
A little after 10:30, when the headliners finally took to the stage, I suddenly forgot my yawns, my tired feet, the fact that I was already out past my normal bedtime and simply found myself utterly entertained and happy. Which is, in one way or another, pretty much the point of all of this. Something I think we can, from time to time, easily forget.
Also, what I'm getting at - if you have the chance to catch Lake Street Dive live, do it. You won't regret it. That's a promise.
Today has been another whirlwind, in a good sort of busy Saturday way, filled with yoga, errands, library runs and the like. Tonight I'll have dinner with a friend and then head to a party in my neighborhood. (Apparently the running around trend of the week continues...) It hit 50 degrees today in this crazy old city I call home, which put every Bostonian I came in contact with in a good mood. It fascinates me how quick we all are to smile, to make a joke, to walk a little taller when we can catch even the tiniest sign of spring in the air around here.
Of course, this is also the most dangerous time of year for getting ones hopes up weather wise and it's a lesson every New England dweller learns at some point. As much as I hate to be the naysayer, spring has not sprung, my friends. Temps drop back to the 20s early next week and we've got a long haul ahead of us before it's officially time to pack away the parkas and flannel sheets.
But hey. We'll take the sunshine when we can..and baby step, little by little, our way out of the slushy snow piles and into the next season that really, truly does wait for us. Just around the corner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I often times miss my whirlwinds when they are quiet, and I miss my quiet time whilst spinning in a social whirlwind.
This week I am actually taking a personal day (Friday) just to catch up on both. I cannot wait!
xox
Post a Comment