Friday, June 13, 2014

Up to Bat

Last night I met up with two friends I don't see nearly enough given our schedules, where we live, and general life busyness.  The three of us used to work together, about a million years ago.  We bonded quickly way back then, as you sometimes do when placed in those virtually right out of college first office jobs, the ones that are tedious and rather lousy, ones you wouldn't go back to if they begged you, but that yield some of the greatest first "adult world" friends you might ever be lucky enough to have.

We spent the evening swapping stories and catching up on the good and the not so good developments in our lives.  When the three of us left the restaurant and parted ways I was struck again, as I often am, at how wonderfully wild and perfect, yet utterly ridiculous this life can be for each and every one of us.  Lately, I've felt that for each personal victory I've achieved - no matter how lofty or how inconsequential - I've watched another one of my battles - again be them big or small - be lost.  We all have moments, goals, dreams that are great and sweeping, and it truly matters which way the pendulum falls.  And then we have others, that in the grand scheme of things, don't carry nearly as much weight or heft.  Choosing your battles, as it were.

People say that baseball is a metaphor for life.  I've recently come to agree with this expression rather adamantly.  Because the thing of it is, we're up to bat each and every time, aren't we?  We may have the support of a team, a great coach, but in the end we're the ones who step up to the plate, alone and ready to swing.  Sure we can watch the tapes, study the pitcher, do our best to prepare, but in the end, none of us can predict the moments we're going to hit a grand slam.  Or strike out.  In a strange way it helps me to remember this, in both my triumphs and my failures.  It's good perspective.  My choices, my decisions are half chance.  So are everybody else's. 

Last week, I finished Chad Harbach's The Art of Fielding.  I am not giving anything away when I tell you the novel centers around baseball, which seems to be a common theme in my life these days.  (It is June in Red Sox Nation after all.)  As the story came to its inevitable, ultimate conclusion, I was struck by a passage in the book, one that reminded me again of how important it can be to try and count my successes and my disappointments one at a time. 

We swing and we miss.  Or.  We swing and we run like hell toward first.  Maybe, on our really good days, we even steal second.    

The ball bore through the morning mist on what seemed like a true path.  The closer it got the more Henry expected it to veer off course, but halfway there it looked good, and three quarters of the way it looked better.  One time.

The shovel head rang like a struck bell, continued to quiver after the sound was gone.  Contango howled as if trying to match the pitch.  The ball dropped straight to the infield dust.  The feeling that ripped through Henry was better than that magic IV he'd been served in the Comstock hospital, better than anything he'd felt on a baseball field before.  A half second later the feeling was gone.  He'd made one perfect throw.  Now what?

Schwartz bent down gingerly, reached into the bucket.  "Just kidding," he said.  "I've got one more."


Henry nodded, dropped into his crouch.  The ball came off the bat.
-The Art of Fielding-

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am not at all surprised to find you quoting The Art of Fielding - so many good passages!

Mom said...

Strange how our thoughts cross at times. I read an article just this morning written by Kelly Corrigan revealing her battle with breast cancer. In the article she mentions that as we go through life there are "clubs" we don't want to be a member of but most often have no choice: the divorce club, the breast cancer club, the unemployed club, etc. You get the picture. It has helped me put into perspective the failures of my life, the thoughts of which have plagued me as I've gotten older. I recall my boss & friend Mrs. Carman saying to me when I was dating a divorcee in my 20s. "He already has a black mark & you don't." I thought it was rather cruel judgment of my boyfriend at the time, but now I understand her deeper intent. And as I await the birth of my first grandson, I think how wonderful that we come into this world to write our on story i.e. chart our own course for the journey we are about to begin. But then there can be those darn "clubs" to which we don't want to belong: the child of an abusive parent club, the living in a drug-infested neighborhood club, the being unwanted club,etc. Those who have the love and support of a good family are so fortunate. And those who manage to overcome the undesirable "clubs" stand as inspiration to all of us who had it easier.

I wish I could have a do-over in some of the decisions I made that put me in the clubs I didn't want to belong to. But looking back I gave it my best, took the risk, made the decisions based on what I knew at the time. And isn't that what life is all about anyhow?