Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Thrive.

Truthfully, I don't understand how my 34th year flew by as quickly as it did, but once again, 365 days passed within a beautiful blink of an eye and on Sunday I turned 35 years old.  The weekend was one of the busiest I've had in awhile but, really, when have you ever known me to not be busy? 

Friday morning, at the literal crack of dawn, I caught a flight down to Philadelphia, as one of my closest friends from high school was getting married in New Jersey that night.  I spent the evening with my core high school girls; dancing, laughing, and celebrating our friend Moira as she celebrated her brand new life as a Mrs.

Saturday, I spent a few quiet moments with my Dad, going out to breakfast at a nearby greasy spoon, and celebrating the early afternoon with a slice of cake and a handful of presents sent from family.  Then, it was back to the airport to catch my return flight back to Boston, touching down Saturday evening.  With just enough time to take a cab back to my apartment, drop my suitcase, and change clothes, I hit the town again, setting out to meet my urban dwelling friends for a few celebratory birthday cocktails...(and then promptly encouraging all of us to shut the bar down at 2 am.)

Sunday, my actual birthday, was spent recovering a bit in the morning after my previous two late nights, and then driving north of the city to spend the afternoon with my favorite non urban friends. The entire group of us - too many adults to count and seven kiddos - went apple picking and then, because these friends know me as well as they do, threw an "end of summer/birthday" BBQ, complete with watermelon, summer brews, grilled deliciousness, and, of course, plenty of cake.

By the end of the weekend, I crawled into bed happy, content, older, wiser, and utterly exhausted.  Which, if you think about it, is exactly how one should feel after a birthday weekend.

I tend to treat every birthday as personal "new year" - as the flipping of a calendar on the day you were born has always felt even more like a fresh start than January 1st does.  Last week, as 35 loomed closer and closer, I sat down, old fashioned journal and pen in hand, with the intent of thinking about what I wanted to get out of the coming 365 days, what my goals and plans would be for my personal new year ahead of me.   

Maybe it's a cop-out, or maybe I was just too tired to think clearly, but really, I couldn't think of much more beyond, as Matthew McConaughey would say, to "just keep livin'."  Obviously, there are plenty more places I want to travel and career aspirations to fulfill, people to meet and books to read and friends and family to spend time with and adventures around each and every corner.  But really, I've carved out a damn wonderful life for myself in the 35 years I've been given thus far.  And I'm pretty content to just enjoy each and every glorious day as it comes my way.

With a little help from my friends too of course.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I definitely started to feel something shift around 35. It's hard to articulate--not settled, exactly, as there are still things I want to do and see, but it doesn't feel as urgent. Like you, I feel so lucky to have the life I do, and my thirties have brought me a lot of what I'm thankful for.

JKL, baby. JKL.

Happy birthday!

Karen said...

Loved this post and am sad my nephew's birthday is the same weekend as yours so I didn't get to celebrate you. But I am hoping there will be a mention in a future post about your birthday gift to yourself? I look forward to it every year!

Feisty Harriet said...

This all sounds like a delightfully lovely--if not jam-packed--birthday weekend.

xox

MOM said...

The next generation steps up. Beautiful families and so glad you have found such loving friends. Glad you had such a joyful birthday celebration on what looks like a gorgeous day in New England. Happy Birthday, baby girl.