The other day I walked out of Anthropologie and immediately texted the one woman on this earth who appreciates a bargain more than I do. My Mom.
"I just bought a dress at Anthro. Originally $198. I got it for $59."
And then my mother high-fived me through her cell phone.
I like to think there are a few things I am good at here in this world. At least I hope so. However, when it comes to shopping - particularly clothes? I know so.
Over the past few weeks in random conversations with friends I have mentioned a few bargain shopping tricks of mine. I thought they were sort of common knowledge, that I wasn't necessarily sharing anything new as I explained my deal snagging techniques. I mean, there's a reason I own a lot of clothes. I find bargains and therefore can afford more clothes. On more than one occasion, while recounting my shopping stories, friends have made comments about learning something new from my ramblings, about not thinking of this or that trick before. Therefore I shall dispense this random advice now.
Ready? Here goes.
Don't pay full price.
Ever.
Or...hardly ever.
Okay, okay. Exceptions to the rule first. There are, on very rare occasions, a moment or two when I'll plunk down the whole wad of cash for a dress or shirt or whatever. I'll almost always do this at bargain overstocked stores like H&M and Forever 21 because they turn over their merchandise ridiculously fast. If you don't buy it when you see it chances are you won't be able to find it or they'll be out of your size when you come back the following month. Plus, they're not pricey stores to begin with. Go ahead and shell out the $34.95 if you've fallen for a dress or sweater.
But about those more expensive stores...
In one of my very first jobs out of college, I remember overhearing a colleague state she tried to shop often, buy less.
Initially, I dismissed her comment. Who wouldn't want to actually buy things on every shopping trip? I thought to myself. Over time though, I began to understand her sentiment. The better you know something, the more you understand it, the less likely you are to over pay or purchase foolishly.
I think I've paid full price for items from my all-time favorite store, JCrew maybe ten times in my life. This is because I pay attention to clothes, trends, and style (because I love it) and I shop often, (and smart) particularly at JCrew. Over the years I have developed a good sense of what their most popular items will be and which ones are likely to sell out before they ever make it to the sale section. However. It is a very, very rare occurrence if I buy anything from JCrew that's not on sale. One of my closest friends from high school used to work for them and let me in on a fascinating little secret that has made all of the difference to me. Stores get new merchandise every three weeks. Every three weeks! Inevitably after a few shipments stores are going to run out of room to stock all of the merchandise they've been sent. Voila. Mark-down time. It that's how the stock is moving in stores, just think of their warehouses. JCrew marks down frequently and often but you have to be paying attention or you'll miss it. (But we'll get into that more in a minute.)
Anthropologie. Another store I love. One of the nicest things any of my friends has ever said to me when visiting my apartment was that "it felt like Anthro." This is also another store in which I rarely will pay full price. I hardly even let myself look at anything in their stores except the sale rack. I can love a store and admit its faults too -- and this one is overpriced for the quality. Until you find their bargains. I have taken to making a pact with myself before I even step into an Anthropologie. I promise myself it's a beeline to the sale section and nothing else. You have to hunt in Anthro sometimes, it's true. But it's almost always worth it. Again though, we'll get into that in a minute.
Because this next tip? It just might be the -- wait for it -- tipping point in my shopping repertoire.
Let's discuss online shopping.
Or, more specifically, the magic of creating a wish list as many sites (Jcrew, Madewell, Anthro, Gap, etc.) will let you do now.
Lululemon was where I learned my online trick; one that has saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars over time. If you're familiar with Lulu, you know that they're the best in the yoga biz. I don't know exactly how they managed to do it, but somehow they found a way to make exercise apparel that's comfortable, holds up for years, and actually looks good on people when they're working out. (It beats an old graying t-shirt is what I'm saying.) (I mean really. My bum, your bum, that stranger's bum? Lululemon makes them ALL look good.) Unfortunately Lulu yoga pants run upwards of $100 a pair. BUT if you check their "we made too much" section of the website early and often (as I do) you can eventually snag pants for much less - usually around the $60 range. You have to have patience. You have to know your sizes (these discounts are final sale) and you have to check often. This is key. Clearly I'm not the only one who knows this secret because when the good stuff hits it goes fast. They often run out of sizes before you can hit the purchase button. Which, yes, I know is frustrating. But victory is so, so sweet on those days when you do ultimately snag a pair of Lulu's for half of the normal price. Trust me.
The other gem of a deal finder is the magical online wish list. This has been a relatively new discovery and process for me but I swear I have saved so. much. money. since I began this practice. As I hinted at above, most sites now will let you create a wishlist. This is similar to the "check out" basket...wherein you can add any and all items to a wishlist as you are perusing their goods. The difference of course is you don't actually purchase the items like you would if they were in your shopping cart. Before we go any further, you should know that having a wish list is just plain fun. The sky is the limit. You've fallen in love with that $500 dress that's completely out of your budget and absolutely impractical? No matter. Throw it on the wish list. Those gorgeous shoes that would likely break your ankle if they were actually worn? Whatevs. You can still covet them without actually buying them.
Until they go on sale.
That, my dear shopping friends, is the true beauty of the online wishlist. I have gotten into the habit of logging in and checking my wishlists on a very regular, almost daily basis. And you know what that means? I learn about discounts and sales very close to the minute they happen. Because if you add an item at full price? Your wishlist notifies you (in different ways depending on how the specific site is set up) when one of your beloved items gets a markdown. That dress from JCrew that you couldn't justify at $200? It suddenly looks a heck of a lot more attainable at $70. And that's when you swoop in for the kill - making your purchases and laughing all the way to the bank.
Of course, of course, knowing your sizes, how certain stores cut their clothes, and the way they fall helps immensely when making an online purchase. I'm confident when I buy from JCrew and don't worry about final sales. Anthropologie makes me a bit more hesitant because their sizes can vary by brand. So it's smart to check return policies before making a purchase. It's helpful to remember too that if it's marked down online, it'll be marked down in the store too. Countless the amount of times I've loved something online only to try it on in a dressing room and immediately discount it.
Bottom line, it's an art this bargain shopping. Some people hate it, but I love it. Thrive on it. Maybe, if my current gig doesn't work out, I'll just turn to personal shopping.
I imagine I could make a killing.
And save all of my potential clients quite a few dollars while doing so.
Thursday, March 26, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oooooh! Bookmarking this!
I also often shop Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx looking for deals. And I'll shop outlet malls for J. Crew and Banana Republic and Nine West all the time, yay for saving pennies to buy MORE DRESSES AND MORE SHOES!
xox
I love wish lists and anthro. I head right to the sale rack, too. I hear ya...
Post a Comment