Monday, October 12, 2015

Bubble.

Two weeks ago I managed to actually have dinner with a couple of friends on a weeknight.  Since school started in July my social life has become close to nonexistent so it was a rare treat to have a couple of hours to catch up with good friends over a glass of wine and some pizza.  (In true form I did have to leave by 8pm to make it home in time for a team call.  Still I'll take two hours where I can.)

As we were catching up, one of my friends asked how my program was going and I immediately started in on the standard update that I give when anyone asks that question.  I spoke about what I loved, what I found immensely challenging, the routine I'd already fallen into, and how exhausted I felt all of the time.  From there I launched into a funny story about something that had happened recently to some of my classmates and me, and in telling the story began trying to catch her up on who everyone was - which guy was the funny one I'd enjoyed immediately, who was the classmate I hadn't been so sure about when I'd first met them but now I adored, who my favorites were, who my non-favorites were, which one was the grumpy one everyone avoided.  She laughed along, following my story, and then commented - "It must be kind of weird.  You have this whole other group of friends - all of these people - that none of us have ever met or know."

She's completely right of course, and it's an interesting phenomenon that I've come to appreciate the further I dive into the program.  Over a two year period - for four intense weeks and approximately 36 weekends - my class and 2nd years ahead of us - come together in a most unique manner to learn, study, collaborate, laugh, argue, agree, and disagree.  We are all going through this crazy, exhausting, compelling adventure together and as empathetic as our friends on the "outside" are, if you're not in the thick of it, it can be hard to fully grasp the intensity and sometimes sheer insanity that is our lives as of late.

Last week marked the completion of two more courses - Stats begone! - which means I amazingly already have three courses checked off of the required list.  This most recent weekend saw the start of Accounting and Microeconomics, which will take us through to the close of this semester in December.  On Saturday night, after a long day of classes, admin meetings for our teams, a networking event, and two back to back review sessions, the majority of my classmates and I found ourselves together in the Blu lounge, the lone bar on the property.  As we took turns buying each other rounds and swapping stories, I couldn't help but look around and feel immensely grateful for these people - my classmates.  What a crazy thing that a little over three months ago, I didn't know any of these people. I took a leap not quite sure of anything.  And now, here I am.  Surrounded by friends.  



1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

Oooooh! Microeconomics!!! I really loved that class, actually. (Econ major here!)

xox