Sunday, January 24, 2016

Current Time and Temperature.

Today, after the already infamous Jonas Blizzard hit the Northeast, I was able to shovel out my car in ten minutes.  And that was taking my time.

Aah, if only all blizzards could be this kind to us.

Obviously Boston did not get the brunt of this storm and my sympathy goes out to my New York, Philadelphia, and DC dwelling friends.  I have been there.  Boston has totally, totally been there.

It was supposed to be a class weekend for me, one that got cancelled at the last minute by the admin staff due to the impending storm.  Initially, I was disappointed.  I'd been geared up for a hell of a drive in the snow. My classmates and I had been cramming all week to try and get the impossible work load assigned in the four days we had between our Ithaca residency week and our first class weekend of 2016 complete.  The adrenaline was high.  However, once I got over that disappointment, I made myself a cup of tea Friday night after dinner and realized - just as I felt the start of a cold coming on - how much I needed a weekend at home.  And of course, as we all know now, they definitely made the right decision in cancelling for the weekend lest I still be stuck in the classroom now...or worse, stranded on the side of the road somewhere, my carpooling classmate and I freezing as we wade through snow drifts.

I can't say that I did much with this bonus weekend.  On Friday I had thoughts about possibly getting to the movies or seeing friends I'm overdue a visit with...but in the end, I must tell you, I didn't really do hardly anything these past 48 hours.  And if you know me and my hectic ways, that is saying something.  Hell, I wore sweats all weekend.  (And we all know I don't hang out in sweats all that often.)  (They were classy sweatpants - if there is such a thing - but still. sweats.)  Turns out that sore throat I was feeling on Friday knocked me out pretty hard...and even when I tried to get up with good intentions to get some errands done, my body immediately spoke up and told me to sit the heck back down.  I slept.  A lot.  I still feel exhausted.  My head cold is just present enough to be annoying.  I tried (and failed) to catch up on school work.  I spent hours of my life - hours that I will never get back I should add - monitoring an Operations "game" we have going for our Business Ops course....where my team sits squarely in the middle rankings.

I readily admit that I'm not the best at slowing down.  Even as I sit here on a Sunday night, my cat on my lap, a cup of tea beside me, dreaming of an early bedtime, I feel regret for all the things I didn't get done this weekend.  So many things on my list of to-dos!

But.

I gotta say.

It felt damn good to be lazy and aimless.

It's a hat I don't wear very often and I rather enjoyed trying it on for size.  I'd even take another day or two.  (Hear that blizzards?)

Because God knows I'll be back up and at it full-force again tomorrow as soon as my alarm clock goes off.

3 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

Ya know, there are times when you just need to curl up and do nothing. I am long-due for such a weekend, and I kind of wish I had a tremendous snowstorm to make that decision for me (sadly, no snow. Just cactus.).

Hope you are feeling better soon!
xox

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Kelli,
I love how well you document your life. I am kicking myself a little bit for not visiting here for so long. I thought of you today because I was reminded that so many books I read and liked were titles you recommended (you have very good taste) and now I realize how much I have missed of your own story! I missed your blog's ten year anniversary! My goodness! And congratulations on taking the leap into an MBA program!

Well, I'm reviving my old ways of visiting certain blogs on a regular basis instead of clicking the occasional link on Facebook - returning to the way I grew to love blogging as a form of expression and community. In other words, I'll be back. Soon.

Kelli said...

KTP! What a lovely note and comment. Thank you! I'm happy - as always - that you stopped by and I already look forward to your next visit. (And you can tell me what you're reading these days too!)

xo