Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Them Eyes Though...

When I was probably thirteen or so, I asked my mother if I could start wearing makeup.  As you might expect - because I'm pretty sure this exact line is the Mom handbook - she told me I was too pretty to bother with makeup and I should just enjoy being able to not fuss with all of that stuff.  Of course, as you also might expect - because this is in the now I'm a teenager handbook - I protested, telling her that I didn't want a lot of makeup, just mascara.  "I think my eyes are my best feature," I explained (surely taking that quote directly out of my YM or Seventeen magazine) and "I want to wear mascara to make them 'pop'."


After a few more weeks of asking, Mom finally relented and let me get my very first ever tube of mascara.  Naturally, I went with Maybelline's Great Lash, proudly displaying it on my dresser in my bedroom next to, um, my tube of chapstick.  It makes me nostalgic and happy that even today, decades later, seeing that pink and green colored packaging brings back fond memories of those years where we sit on the cusp of change, with one foot still in the world of our childhood.


All of this is to say that for the past 20 odd years I have been really into mascara.  Of course by now I wear a lot of other makeup too and at 36 feel pretty comfortable with my tried and tested favorites. The perfect mascara, however, has long alluded me. A lot of professional makeup artists still swear by Maybelline's Great Lash.  While I don't dislike it (how could I?) I don't love it like I want to love my mascara.  I do really like the outcome when I use L'Oreal's Voluminous brand, but I don't love that it takes forever to wash off at the end of the day leaving my with dark streaks pouring down my face - even after I use a makeup remover. Clinique's options aren't terrible but they're kind of pricey and I don't always have time to head to a department store to pick up a new tube.  People swear by Dior mascara but again a) pricey and b) not available at your local drugstore.


Now I'm hear to tell you, amid my many posts about school and my crazed schedule and exhaustion, about a new mascara find (well, new to me) that just might do the trick.  CoverGirl Lash Plus - in it's bright and bold orange packaging, has quickly risen to the top of my mascara loving heart.  It goes on easy, does the trick and is perfect for every day use - no flaking by your 3pm coffee break! - washes off relatively easy, and comes in at only about $8 a pop, making my savvy shopper smart immensely happy.


So there you go, gang.  From my batting lashes to yours.

3 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

I have tried approximately 28,372 different type of mascara, my white-blonde eyelashes need SERIOUS help in order for me to look like an actual adult. I do like the CoverGirl Lash Plus, but I found my biggest improvement is using a lash primer (currently the one from Clinique because that's the best one I've found). A good coat of primer followed by two coats of good mascara, and viola! Eyes!

Also, I have tried the Younique SUPER expensive mascara....and its the pits. Talk about flakes, holycrap, it's the worst. Do not recommend.

xox

Amy said...

GIRL, I've been using that mascara! I've also used another Cover Girl option... in a yellow tube... can't remember the name. Lash Plus has been interspersed with Birchbox samples, but it's a winner! :)

mom said...

I don't remember the "mom objected" part of the story, but you are still pretty just the way you are! That part I will always agree on!