Friday, April 06, 2018

Commuting Bookclub.

Yesterday evening, on the train ride home after work, I sat down next to an older woman in a lovely mustard colored coat.  It was that lovely mustard colored coat that caused me to notice her initially; she continued to hold my interest because she was reading an actual paper book which is more and more of an anomaly these days. As I squeezed in the train next to her, sitting in the only open seat on the T, I pulled out the brand-new book I'd just started that morning.  It is one that I have been wanting to read for years, the one I didn't dare tackle while I was balancing work and grad school, the one that's been patiently waiting on my bookshelf for at least six months even after I purchased it.  The woman and I read in silence for two T stops before she spoke to me.  "You're not going to want to put that book down, I promise you that." 

Slightly startled from my reading haze, I looked over at her.  She smiled knowingly.  I replied, telling her about my dilemma about the best time to just start reading it already, my slight intimidation over the 700+ pages that awaited. As we spoke, I noticed a teenage boy standing in front of us, listening to our conversation and smiling, nodding.  After another minute of conversation, the woman and I both turned back to our novels, reading in quiet contentment during rush hour together for a few more stops.  The woman and I both stood up to get off at the same stop.  As I departed, the teen boy walked off the train with us as well.  "I loved that book too," he said, smiling shyly. "I enjoyed it so much.  You will too."

And then the three of us smiled together once more and parted ways, likely never to cross paths again.

I suppose the idea of connecting with two strangers over a book never to connect again might be a little melancholy.  For me though, being in that moment and our brief conversation was the highlight of my day.  I was reminded anew of one of the things that I have always cherished about urban living, where random lives intersect for the briefest of moments, and ideas and thoughts are shared in passing before all of us make our way back to our homes, apartments piled on top of one another, tree houses built into the sky.     

No comments: