1. What did you do in 2018 that you'd never done before?
This year, I tried to do at least one brand- new-thing-to-me every month. The biggest item on the list is moving to Manhattan in September, of course but I did okay throughout the rest of year as well.
Other never-before-done things include:
Other never-before-done things include:
Go-Kart Racing, taking a Zumba class, traveling to the DR, finishing Yoga Teacher Training, traveling to Nashville, Minneapolis, and Lake Tahoe. Actually seeing what all the fuss is about (finally) while on a trip out to LA, celebrating my Grandmother's 100th birthday in May, taking a pasta making class, losing my tried and true Jeep, seeing Iceland, taking the ferry out to P-Town from Boston, jumping off the Jaws Bridge on Martha's Vineyard, biking around Chappaquiddick, signing a lease for a Manhattan apartment, moving out of my most loved treehouse apartment in MA and moving down to NYC, saying goodbye to my beloved Grandma in October one final time.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This is what I wrote last year:
In 2018 I want to perceive circumstances with love, not fear. I hope I can live up to the following mantras I have set for myself, my intentions for 2018:
Be open.
Have faith.
Trust myself.
Be Kind.
Be Good.
Be Ambitious.
And on the more tangible side of things - I want to get back to writing creatively again, to travel for fun more, and to find a way to get horseback riding back in my life.
Be open.
Have faith.
Trust myself.
Be Kind.
Be Good.
Be Ambitious.
And on the more tangible side of things - I want to get back to writing creatively again, to travel for fun more, and to find a way to get horseback riding back in my life.
Overall, I think I did a pretty decent job of this - I took a big leap that I was scared to take which forced me to be open, ambitious, to have faith, and to trust myself. I never found a place to ride horses again so that one was a bust.
I did my best to be kind and good whenever possible.
In 2019, I have some tangible goals like:
finding a gym/getting into a fitness routine now that I've moved
proactively trying to meet new people - men and women - in NYC
to write more - both here and in my journal
to once again actively try and find a place where I can ride horses
to volunteer more
to volunteer more
And in big, sweeping terms for 2019 - to be brave, stay the course, remain true to myself, have faith, and remain kind and compassionate even when I might be surrounded by unkind or uncompassionate people.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, but truthfully it's hard to keep count! Several friends are on to baby number two or three these days.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, yes. My beloved Grandma left us in October. Just a few days ago a very dear family friend, Frans, passed away suddenly at home in the Netherlands.
The world is a bit darker with the loss of both of these beautiful souls.
5. What countries did you visit?
The Dominican Republic in February, Iceland in June and I'm off to Paris shortly!
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
Some close friends in New York, and a true love.
7. What dates from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
I guess August 31st as that was the day I had to be out of my beloved Cambridge treehouse for good. And September 4th as the day I moved into Manhattan.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving to Manhattan on my own.
9. What was your biggest failure?
9. What was your biggest failure?
At times folding inward in times of hurt or heartache versus opening up. Sometimes closing my heart off because it feels easier than remaining open and vulnerable.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully only a cold this fall that set me back a few days. Nothing else.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
plane tickets, theater tickets, concert tickets, my yoga teacher training certification.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
plane tickets, theater tickets, concert tickets, my yoga teacher training certification.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I am always so impressed with the heroes and the helpers that come to light during dark and troubling times. I applaud the women who had the courage to speak up in regards to the MeToo movement.
It makes me proud of the many women who have run (and won) political office in the last year. It's about time for a change.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
These are dark times we are living in right now. Our politicians, the government, terrorist, active shooters...oh, all of it.
14. Where did most of your money go?
14. Where did most of your money go?
New York City! Moving, rent, and well, just about everything in this new city. New York is a wonderful town...but it sure is pricey.
15. What did you get really excited about?
The morning I drove into Manhattan to meet the moving truck was pretty special to me. I played Taylor Swift's Welcome to New York over and over, giddy and almost in disbelief that I was finally going to live in Manhattan -a dream/goal I'd had since I was about twelve years old.
16. What song will always remind you of 2018?
ummmm....oh, how about that Havana song? Oh and of course, Taylor Swift's Reputation album (since I saw her on tour!)
ummmm....oh, how about that Havana song? Oh and of course, Taylor Swift's Reputation album (since I saw her on tour!)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) a little bit sadder
b) a little bit fatter
c) definitely poorer in the financial sense
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
yoga, hiking, being outdoors in nature, dating sane and nice guys
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
worrying about things that are out of my control
yoga, hiking, being outdoors in nature, dating sane and nice guys
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
worrying about things that are out of my control
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I was with my Mom and best pup in the all land, Bailey at her house in Georgia.
21. Did you fall in love in 2018?
Not in the romantic sense, no.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope.
Nope.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Goldfinch by Donna Tart. No question. I loved that book so much.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Kacey Musgrave's album Golden Hour. So, so good.
26. What did you want and get?
A chance to live in Manhattan, a trip to Iceland, time with dear tried and true friends, travel opportunities, adventure, shaking things up.
26. What did you want and get?
A chance to live in Manhattan, a trip to Iceland, time with dear tried and true friends, travel opportunities, adventure, shaking things up.
27. What did you want and not get?
a healthy, supportive, loving romantic relationship
28. What was your favorite film of the year?
I am terrible at this question every year for some reason. I really loved I, Tonya and Wildlife.
a healthy, supportive, loving romantic relationship
28. What was your favorite film of the year?
I am terrible at this question every year for some reason. I really loved I, Tonya and Wildlife.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 39 in September and spent the day in beautiful Maine with my Mom. We wandered in and out of coastal towns and had dinner at 18 Central in Rockport which was delicious.
I turned 39 in September and spent the day in beautiful Maine with my Mom. We wandered in and out of coastal towns and had dinner at 18 Central in Rockport which was delicious.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
how about the ability to live in two cities at once? being able to hold onto my apartment?
how about the ability to live in two cities at once? being able to hold onto my apartment?
Seriously though, 2018 gave me a lot. It hasn't been without its challenges or heartbreak, but I'm grateful for the gifts and opportunities that came my way this last year. I tried not to miss any of them.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
I'm currently in the midst of trying to clear out my closet with my move and get rid of items I haven't worn in awhile -the whole less is more idea and all that. I find myself leaning more toward solids and then accenting with earrings or a necklace these days. Well, and blue and white stripes - my own personal neutral.
32. What kept you sane?
My friends, my books, yoga, fresh air. Remembering - when I felt homesick for Boston or missed my friends and life in New England that I am currently on a grand adventure in New York, a new city to wander and explore, and that has been something I have always wanted.
Perspective.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I got rather caught up in the magical courtship of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Who doesn't love a good royal wedding?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh there are so many. The MeToo movement, the Kavanaugh hearings, school and house of worship shootings, immigrant families being separated, basically anything our (sigh) President said or did.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh there are so many. The MeToo movement, the Kavanaugh hearings, school and house of worship shootings, immigrant families being separated, basically anything our (sigh) President said or did.
35. Who did you miss?
My Grandma.
My beloved Boston friends.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I am on the hunt for some New York based friends now that I live there, so anyone who I met and clicked with in my new city was a joy and blessing.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.
Life, our time here on earth, is really very very short. If you want something, you gotta just do it - even if you're terrified because there will never be the "right" time.
A lot of things might seem like really big things when they are happening but in the end, they don't matter that much in the grand scheme, so best to keep perspective whenever possible.
Eff the rules.
Eff the rules.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Old soul, waiting my turn
I know a few things, but I still got a lot to learn.
So I'm alright with a slow burn.
-Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn
No comments:
Post a Comment