Friday, December 13, 2019

All About That Face.

Lately all of my posts have felt so heavy and self-reflective and deep. I find writing to be one of the most theraputic things in the world - hallelujah, amen - but every once in awhile it does a girl good to turn away from the navel gazing and think about something delightfully frivolous like new makeup.

This post is going to do just that. Welcome.

Given the limited space of my Manhattan abode and my attempt to use up old things before I let myself purchase new things, up until last week I had not treated myself to any new makeup in I don't know how long. Blame me talking with some friends the last time I was up in Massachusetts about their beauty routines or caving for a particularly great cyberMonday deal, but a few weeks ago I found myself piling up my virtual shopping cart with Glossier products, a brand I had never tried before but now with which I am mildly obsessed.

(There are like two people on the planet who read this blog but just for legality's sake - no this isn't sponsored content, all opinions are my own, etc. etc.)

Anywho.  Since I had never tried Glossier before I mostly went straight for the cult favorites. I'll admit curiosity was really what got the best of me - are these things as amazing as the internet claims them to be? One way to find out.

Ultimately I purchased one best-selling Boy Brow, two shades (Puff and Beam) of their top rated Cloud Paint, two Balm DotComs (Mint and Cherry) because I couldn't decide which "flavor" I wanted more and two GenerationG matte lipsticks, in Leo and Zip because Leo felt like a good standard and Zip because who doesn't need a lipstick with the name Zip?

Two weeks into this world of Glossier and I must admit that I finally see what all the fuss is about. I even put two other Glossier items on the Christmas wish list I emailed my family...so I guess I have become one of those people now.  Here's my breakdown if you too are a Glossier newbie and want to give it a go. (Hot tip - tell me if you are and I can send you a discount.)

I like the Boy Brow when I actually remember to use it; which is 30% of the time.  I'm not really into doing much makeup on my brows and while I do like how they look after I used it, I truly just forget most mornings because it's not part of my standard routine.  I purchased their brown color which is fine and not too brown at all but I probably should have tried clear since my brows are already a dark enough brown. The Cloud Paint blush is probably my favorite selection.  I really like both colors I picked out and it is fun to apply - just a few dabs and you're good to go.  However, I don't like that the hand towel in my bathroom is covered in pink from me wiping off the extra - it's very easy to squeeze too much out of the tube each morning. I suppose I must get in the habit of using a tissue instead of the poor towel.

The Balm DotComs are fun, taste delicious, and I love the slight color of the Cherry option.  They're great.  Except they're also tube based and so I have the same complaint about hand towels/using my fingers to apply as I stated above with the Cloud Paint.  GenerationG lipsticks are the product about which I am the most lukewarm. I really like their subtle color a lot. However, they're rather drying and I don't find the color actually stays put all that long.  I thought they'd be the apply color without a mirror but not actually lipstick solution I'm always on the hunt for...and they sort of are, until my lips feel too dry and I stop using them for a few days. Still, they get the shade right and that feels like a minor win in and of itself.

All of this is to say, I have plans to become even more versed in my Glossier knowledge and already want to take myself on a field trip to their SoHo store where I'll likely want to purchase products I don't actually need. Still, it just goes to show you that even at 40, playing makeup and treating yourself to a few new, fun, just because things never actually gets old. Especially when you snag them on sale.

No comments: