Rest assured though, this is not that kind of list.
As is my tradition, I kept a record of every book I read this year, which I’ll be sharing with my favorite group of literary college friends sometime in the next week. (For the one of them that actually reads this blog, he gets a sneak preview.)
I only read 21 books this year, a number that seems a bit low to me. I might bang out one more before the end of the year but I’m certainly not going to make 29 in ’09. Ah well, at least I had a goal. Still, I comfort myself by remembering that there are an awful lot of people (unfortunately) that don’t read one book, let alone 21 in a year. 2009 also wins the award for the busiest of my life so far. But that’s a whole different post…
Books I Read in 2009
1.) Then We Came to The End – Joshua Ferris
2.) Self-Made Man – Norah Vincent
3.) Olive Kitteridge – Elizabeth Strout
4.) Maus: A Survivor’s Tale (Parts I & II) – Art Spiegelman
5.) He’s Just Not That Into You – Greg Behrendt & Liz Tuccillo
6.) Twilight – Stephanie Meyers
7.) The Moviegoer – Walker Percy
8.) Little Bee – Chris Cleave
9.) The Book Thief – Markus Zusak
10.) Love the One You’re With – Emily Giffin
11.) The Red Tent – Anita Diamant
12.) The History of Love – Nicole Krauss
13.) Wintergirls – Laurie Halse Anderson
14.) Expecting Adam – Martha Beck
15.) Neither Here Nor There – Bill Bryson
16.) Bella Tuscany – Frances Mayes
17.) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao – Junot Diaz
18.) Commencement – J. Courtney Sullivan
19.) The Help – Kathryn Stockett
20.) Under the Banner of Heaven – Jon Krakauer
21.) In the Woods – Tana French
So – answers to the two questions that inevitably follow lists like this:
Best book? The Book Thief, hands down, no question. I loved every word, every page and was sorry when I finished it and closed it for the last time.
The worst? Bella
Now I’m trying to decide on a goal for reads in 2010. I’d like to aim for 30, seeing as I’m 30 and all…but the realist in me thinks that’s a bit lofty. So let’s shoot for a healthy, well rounded 25. 25 in 2010. Happy reading!
6 comments:
Interesting. Our book lists are very similar this year! :)
I was looking forward to seeing your list! You inspired me to keep track of all the books I read this year, and I can't believe it, but we didn't read even ONE of the same books! But now I have lots of new ideas for books in 2010!
I just watched He's Not That Into You on cable Sunday night. I must say, I wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be considering all the talent in that movie.
I'm with Karen - I'll use your list as a shopping guide this coming year.
If you're using my list as a guide, I recommend staying away from Bella Tuscany, Self-Made Man, (I give that one an overall "meh")Love the One You're With and Commencement. Those are ones I didn't really love.
I certainly recommend The Book Thief, I also really liked The Help, The History of Love, and Olive Kitteridge.
Hoorah for reading!
Glad you shortened your reading goal. If you do it by age you'll have to keep reading MORE AND MORE every year. I'd have to read 62 books in 2010!! YIKES. I'm trying for one book a month as a minimum target.
At least you didn't link your annual reading requirement to the new year...2010 books...although I bet you could do it!!
You've read lots more books than me....unless you count the stack of journals I read for my thesis! :)
Post a Comment