I remember remarking once to my father about how fast a certain month flew by. “If there’s one thing I can guarantee,” my Dad said, “is that it only continues to move faster.”
Once again, my father is correct. (How do parents always do that?)
Here we are, more than a week into March. How did that happen? I haven’t even finished trying on all the “maybe I'll keep” clothes from my great New Year closet purge that I started January 1st!
Life is moving so fast that the Oscars have already come and gone for 2010. For the first time in a long while I didn’t write out all of my predictions for the night ahead of time here on the blog. Truthfully the films all kind of underwhelmed me this year. Sure, I saw plenty of them and by my own count I placed a pretty good bet on who would come out as winners (by the end of the night I was 16 for 24. Not a terrible average, if I do say so myself) but there were several movies nominated that just left me feeling… “meh.” I didn’t hate them, I didn’t love them. So it goes, sometimes.
In other news, for the past few days Boston has been treated to some lovely spring-like temperatures. I haven’t lived here for more than ten years to be fooled by this warmer air though. Old man winter will return at least once more this season, rest assured. And in the meantime, I take pity on all the young 18 & 19 year olds I see walking around the city already in tanktops and flip-flops. (It’s warm, but it’s not that warm, sweetheart.)
Still, this weather is a lovely gift and I’m soaking up as much of it as I possibly can. On Sunday the weather was so delightful that I decided to take a long walk through my neighborhood. Bostonians are notorious for barreling through the streets with their heads-down and being a tad…um, crabby…with their fellow neighbors. On Sunday though, everyone I passed was grinning and on more than one occasion strangers acknowledged one another and commented on the weather. You would think by now I’d be used to this spring fever phenomenon, but it still amazes me to watch everyone in this city come out of their respective lairs. Once the weather begins to break and the days grow longer, our self-imposed winter hibernation winds down. It’s such a nice thing to recall that there are quite a few lovely people living right down the road from where you lay your head, really. It makes the world feel a little smaller, a little less lonely.
For this warm spell, no matter how brief it may be? I’ll take it.
Tuesday, March 09, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think we're all ready for spring in a more than usual way this year. Harsh long winter most everywhere. Just to lift your spirits and know that spring is coming, I saw daffodils blooming today. How refreshing.
I'm so glad for the warm weather too, but I'm not packing my boot away just yet...
We two/too are thrilled for the warm weather. We went for a walk the other day and it was fantastic to just toss a jacket on the baby and go. Since winter was a no-show, give me spring.
Post a Comment