I tend to think, no matter how long they’ve been patiently sitting on your shelves, that books have a way of finding you when they know its their turn, their moment to shine, to befriend, to finally be read.
The Power of One and I have a bit of a history, dating all the way back to my senior year of high school when my World Cultures class watched the film version. Years later I happened upon the book at a library sale. I remembered almost none of the plot of movie, only that I’d adored the film.
I often make it my mission to match people and books. I’m not always successful, but my batting average isn’t terrible. I like the sport of it; recognizing a persons interests and personality enough to suggest a few clever recommendations. At the time I stumbled across The Power of One, I was dating someone who I was sure would fall for the novel, despite having never read it myself. So I made the purchase as a gift, fully intending to read the book myself as well. Of course, because things seem to unfold this way, we broke up before I’d read it. As we went our separate ways he took custody of the novel, adoring it just as much as I’d imagined he would.
Almost two years ago, my mother and I wandered into a great used book store in her town. I left that store about $50 poorer but with more books than I could carry – including, finally, all for my very own, The Power of One. Still, I didn’t read it immediately. I suppose it just wasn't time yet.
A few weeks ago, ready to pick my next read, I stood in my living room head cocked to the right reading spine after spine. I ran my fingers across a few, pulling a book out here or there, debating. Then, on the second shelf, I hovered. Something in my gut told me it was finally time to crack it open, this classic novel of
For I often judge books by a moment. When a great tale comes to an end, if I am forced to catch my breath or clutch the book close to my heart, it is a success. If in my hectic life I find time to pause or sit for a moment or two and just think, letting the story settle into my memory the book has given me a great gift - leaving me better than before. These moments are brief and uncommon and when they happen I hold them in high accord. As I tucked The Power of One away last night, I felt forced to say goodbye to a dear friend, one I hope you will enjoy and love as much as I did.
"If we're lucky, writer and reader alike, we'll finish the last line or two of a short story and then just sit for a minute, quietly. Ideally, we'll ponder what we've just written or read; maybe our hearts or our intellects will have been moved off the peg just a little from where they were before. Our body temperature will have gone up, or down, by a degree. Then, breathing evenly and steadily once more, we'll collect ourselves, writers and readers alike, get up, "created of warm blood and nerves," as a Chekhov character puts it, and go onto the next thing: Life, Always life."
4 comments:
I absolutely LOVED this book, what a fantastic read! I'm so glad you loved it too!
xox
Gosh, what an endorsement! I haven't read it before, but I'll put it on the list.
Thanks for sharing!
I got to the part where there are boxing matches (hopefully this is no spoiler), more than halfway and I just couldn't bring myself back into the story to finish it. perhaps we met at the wrong time. a student (8th grader no less) recommended it and said it was the best book ever, you HAVE to read it! as I told her my struggle, she said, yeah. its kinda good in the beginning, boring in the middle, and AWESOME at the end. would you agree?
I actually liked the boxing part far more than I'd initially anticipated....I think I liked the beginning the best b/c I fell in love with Peekay almost instantly. When you're ready, Erikka, give it another shot. I hope you end up liking it!
Post a Comment