It's been five months since I joined my local branch of Boston Sports Clubs. At this point I've shelled out about (gulp) $300 for my membership, money I could certainly - car insurance, credit cards, rent - find other very good, practical uses for at a moment's notice.
I've yet to carve out my ideal gym routine. I'm still learning what machines do what, I'm doing my best to try different classes and learn which instructors I like. There are days when I feel great and fit and believe I could run on the treadmill for another hour, no problem, and then there are other days where I can barely stick with my workout for 30 long minutes. I don't own a lot of the high-tech, wick the sweat away and still make you look sexy as you sweat gear, and I've been known to whip out older, extremely unflattering and ill-fitting gym attire the closer I get to laundry day. There are weeks when I get to the gym every other day, others where I fall off the bandwagon completely.
A meat-head, a gym-rat, I am not.
But, I'm still going. And here's the really crazy thing, the thing everyone tells you but what I never imagined would apply to me. I'm actually starting to look forward to the nights I make it there, the ones I carve out specifically for "gym time." I'm so glad I finally decided to give this gym membership thing a shot, even if my wallet feels the pinch. I feel stronger, happier, more capable. My head, my heart, my brain, my sanity are all the better for it - which means its worth every penny.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
There is no better place than a gym: the clanging of weight plates, the unusual and bizarre denizens prowling the floor, the piquant aromas wafting through the air. A little bit of heaven.
If you have a little more money you can invest, I recommend a few sessions with a personal trainer. Tomorrow is my fourth visit of a four pack introductory pack, and it is great. They teach you good routines, get you to do the things you hate (but really should do) plus keep you coming... plus today my trainer saw me at the gym and came over and gave me a huge high five for coming in on my own time. It's a good motivator!
You're an inspiration. Gotta get into the gym mode myself. Glad you're starting young. It gets harder to get started the older you get. Stay with it. You'll be glad you did.
Post a Comment