Monday, May 10, 2010

Buried Treasure.

I sort of surprised myself when, earlier this year I added "own a Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress" to my ever-evolving Working Life List. It seemed a sort of silly goal, even to me - the creator of these goals - but for some reason it was just a kind of, sort of, little something that I wanted. Maybe it was the iconic nature of her wrap dress, or my interest in her business savvy, or the idea of a classic must-have piece. Whatever the psychology behind my reasoning, I decided that yes, at least once in my life I wanted to own the real deal, by the designer herself. So onto the list it went.

Yesterday, while tooling around the city, I popped into a neighborhood consignment shop. I had no intent to buy anything but - shopper that I am - flipped through the racks regardless. The rippled edging caught my eye first. Plus I'm a sucker for white in the springtime. And I've always had a crush on flowy, breezy, shape-it-how-you-want-it material. I pulled the little number off the rack to get a closer look and that's when I saw the label.

Diane von Furstenberg.

Of course, I immediately reached for the price tag, ready to hang it right back on the rack after putting my eyeballs back in my sockets. But to my delight, the piece was extremely reasonably priced. And in the dressing room, I found it actually fit. Imagine that.

I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit that with one single twirl in front of that dressing room mirror I fell instantly in love. And despite the logical voice in my brain who pointed out that white is tough to keep clean and did I really need another skirt and why don't I just wait and come back next week if I'm still thinking about it, I just knew. I saw myself loving this skirt for years to come, dressing it up, dressing it down, accessorizing it to fit my mood, and always recalling to myself how I stumbled upon it one cool, windy, Sunday afternoon in Boston. I was meant to have this skirt just as she was meant to find me.

Sometimes you just know these sorts of things.


The wrap dress will come someday too, I'm sure of it. She's just waiting for the right time to find me. When I least expect it.

2 comments:

MOM said...

Oh, that's so pretty! So feminine. I love it! More consignment shopping is in order!

Anonymous said...

Love.