Wednesday, May 12, 2010

T Minus 8 Days

My friend and I leave for Ireland in a week and one day.

Holy smokes.

I feel like she and I bought those plane tickets ages ago...and when we did, May 20th seemed like light years away. And now, suddenly, our departure is just around the corner.

Our itinerary is almost complete, we've got reservations at B&B's for every night except our last one (can we please all collectively cross our fingers that the spot I emailed this afternoon will have a charming little room for us?) we've booked a rental car, we both have our passports at the ready and are both mentally preparing packing lists.

There's much to tell before D -as in Departure- Day, but right now I want to ask you, dear interwebs, two things:

1.) If you've been to Ireland before, can you tell me any must dos, sees, eats, drinks and the like? I've actually been to the Emerald Isle once before, in 2002, but I am SO ready to head back and not stay at hostels that packed 30 co-eds into a room with bunk beds each night. Rule #1 that my friend and I agreed upon while planning was that we will only be staying at places that already have sheets on the beds. I plan on arriving in Ireland with a clean mental slate and looking at everything as if I'm seeing it for the first time. So I kissed the Blarney Stone once when I was 22? What on earth makes you think I won't do it again at age 30? Exactly.

We're also heading up to Belfast, where I've never been, so any
recommendations for Northern Ireland are much appreciated as well.

and

2.) Books. I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and need some picks to take along with me for our plane rides and down time. I've got about 10 billion books on my shelves to choose from, but I'm wondering if any of you have must-reads you want to recommend. Since we're not heading to the beach, I don't necessarily need fluff...but I won't be tackling Ulysses this trip either (even if we are in Joyce's homeland).

SO! In summary: Ireland in 8 days for me, Sights, Eats, and Read recommendations from you.
Man, we make a good team.

6 comments:

Kate said...

You'll have so much fun. Of course visit Guinness if you're in Dublin.

Recommended reads: Little Bee, it's a good plane read and anything David Sedaris because you can pick up and put down without feeling like the story continues. I'm happy to loan 'em out, just shout!

Unknown said...

"Special Topics in Calamity Physics" which you should have read a year ago.

MOM said...

Did you ever read Angela's Ashes? Wasn't that set in Ireland? Have a great trip. I'm jealous!

MOM said...

Or how about Trinity? Wasn't that also set in Ireland? Top of the Day to you, girlie! Have fun!

Akkire said...

Lace Makers of Glenmara (and possibly a site seeing visit there!) is an easy, enjoyable travel read.

Lisa said...

Sorry I haven't commented in ages :( I don't even want to tell you all the stuff I'm currently ignoring to even comment now :( I've been reading but I usually pop in, pop out, with no time to comment...
anyways, just wanted you to know that I am keeping up with this here blog o' yours and man I'm freakin' jealous of your trip to Ireland! :)