I may be cursing myself tomorrow night but I actually feel pretty prepared, prepped, packed, and ready for the Trip right now. Oh, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of to-do items to keep me occupied all day tomorrow and Thursday but it feels manageable. I like manageable.
Here's the most important thing though. I need everyone to cross their fingers and toes and whatever else you'd like that the volcano that no one can pronounce keeps a lid on it, okay? Perhaps we could all plan a collective prayer to keep the winds at bay and the ash away? Our travel prayer could help my friend and I take off on a...wait for it...wing and a prayer, you know what I mean? Eh?? (Thanks folks, I'll be here all week.)
Now. Where was I? Oh yes. Getting ready.
It helps that I've been doing my best to not procrastinate too much. The list is far too long to leave every thing to the last minute. Because, believe me, even as organized as I've tried to be, I've still left plenty...
The packing started Sunday:
As always, I worry I'm packing too much. I'm focusing on layers, mixing and matching, and easy, no hassle pieces. I'm bringing my red Hunter boots along, which will either be the best decision ever and I'll wear them daily or they'll be one of those suitcase objects that never sees the light of day and you wonder aloud over and over why you bothered to bring them. Time will tell.I'm torn about what jacket to bring along and weigh pros and cons of my trench coat (nice, light weight, hits mid-thigh but no hood) versus my North Face shell (better in a torrential downpour, can be a tad stuffy, not the most flattering, but has a hood) nightly. I worry one pair of sneakers won't be enough but feel silly packing two. I've already warned my travel buddy I'll be wearing the same outfit in a few variations multiple times; I'm bringing several colors of the same exact 3/4 length Jcrew shirt that I adore.
One item that was never up for debate though was my tried and true "traveling sweater". This lady has been with me for I can't remember how long. I might have even purchased her in college. She's certainly seen London and Ireland before and I know she was the only sweater I carried with me during my backpacking trek. She's perfect - warm but not bulky, a deep purple so she matches everything, and the zip-up feature helps with controlling your body temperature. I swear, I will cry if I ever lose her. (Banish the thought.) I suspect you'll see her in many of the photos we take abroad, but here's a sneak peek.
Along with packing, sorting, planning, laundry, and what-not this weekend, I also decided to dye my hair. You probably can't quite tell from this photo, but it's an auburn-y shade of red, ala Angela Chase.It's not forever, but it's different and fun and apparently I'm now a red-headed lass on her way to Ireland. In 48 hours. And that means my Irish eyes get to shine just a little bit brighter for the next few weeks.
2 comments:
A wing and a prayer it is then. Godspeed.
Happy travels...
I love that you pack like I do. Do you pack, unpack and repack too? Usually taking out only one thing and adding 3 more!
I'm looking forward to the post trip pics.
Have fun!
Post a Comment