Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Am Woman

I came home last week after a weekend away to find my toilet not working. As you might imagine, my very first thought was: "You have got to be kidding me." Off came the lid to the tank and I began to do some investigating. I figured out what was wrong quickly enough and put in a phone call to my landlord...who informed me when he answered the phone that he was in the process of boarding a plane and wouldn't be home until next week.

Awesome.

In moments past, I would have called my Dad, begging him to send his handy-man expertise through the telephone. But I had just come back to the city after a weekend in the woods, in a very rural part of Vermont. The woods-loving country girl living inside me was at her most-keen and aware. "I can handle this on my own," I told myself. No problem.

So off to Home Depot I went. After spending a solid 30 minutes wandering through the store looking for a salesperson ("You can do it, we can help" only works if YOU CAN ACTUALLY FIND SOMEONE TO HELP YOU, Home Depot.) I found the piece I was looking for in the plumbing section. Back home, I took a deep breath, pulled out my toolbox and grabbed a wrench. "How hard can this actually be?" I thought. (Though I must admit, I kept the phone within arm's reach just in case - aware that the need for handyman pep talk from my Dad could strike at anytime.) But do you know, in 20 minutes, I had the whole thing fixed? For once in my apartment repair history I did everything right the first time and it all worked like a charm. And a week later it's *still* working.

Hear me roar.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! I am impressed.

Mom said...

OK...next stop, repair-woman, is my house in Alpharetta, GA. I SO need a handy person to work on ALL of these toilets. I hate flushing, getting back into my cozy bed and having to get back up because the darn toilet is still "running". AHH. Where's my girl??

heidikins said...

Whoar!

You go girl.

xox

Lisa said...

You are AWESOME! And you didn't even need the pep talk OR the help! :)

590816 said...

Well done Kelli. Now, I have this problem with a leaky faucet....