With September gearing up to be one of the busiest months of my life (to Philly! to Kansas City! to Atlanta!) I am finding, as of late, that I have minimal time to write.
With flights in and out of Boston occurring every other week though, I am suddenly finding time to sit down and read. Say what you will about the hassles of air travel…there’s something quite lovely about opening a book 20,000 feet in the air.
(You want an argument against the Kindle or the Nook? Guess who doesn’t have to power-off when a plane takes off or starts its initial decent, kids? That’s right. This girl. Because she’s holding an actual printed book in her hand with real, authentic, 100% tangible pages. There’s no on/off switch on that sucker, hallelujah.)
And on that note, I give you – Three Quick Book Reviews:
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl:
Oh my. I have a serious love/hate relationship with this novel. Strike that. Let’s call it a like/hate relationship. Three people – all of which I hold in high regard when it comes to book chatter – recommended this book to me. And while I really, really wanted to love it, I just…couldn’t. There are certainly some charming, interesting parts. I found myself smiling at the author’s witticisms now and again. But. It’s also 500+ pages which focuses a lot on over-privileged, snobby, rich, high school kids. And guess what? Over-privileged, snobby, rich high school kids get on my nerves.
One Day by David Nicholls:
Unfortunately, this book is going to be classified as chick-lit. It’s certainly a quick, entertaining read that deals with all sort of relationships and emotions between friends…and it includes strong themes about a romance (shocking!) which is why it’ll fall under the chick-lit category. Steinbeck it’s not, but it IS more than complete fluff. There’s a lot of heart in this book. It’s a good, relatable story. You’ll fall in and out of love with the characters and I really think you’ll end up liking this one. I read it in 2 days flat.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:
I cannot give you a complete, down and dirty review on this book yet...because I haven’t finished it. However, at 100 pages in, I can tell you that I’m absolutely hooked. I rarely go for science-fiction, futuristic novels but this one is fascinating. So much so that I’m annoyed every morning when I arrive at my workplace T stop, have to stick my bookmark in the pages for another 9 hours, and actually earn my paycheck. Hrmph.
Thursday, September 09, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ohhhh... Hunger Games! My fave! I can't wait to discuss it with you.
I am so with you on the real-life-paper-and-ink book. :)
xox
Hunger Games was one of my top 5 reads of the year.
I read the entire Charlaine Harris series this summer (aka Sookie Stackhouse....aka True Blood). I'm almost ashamed to admit it but it was so deliciously mindless that I am not ashamed. I've heard of Hunger Games I'll have to check it out. :)
I say run, don't walk to the nearest book store and pick up The Hunger Games. I literally read the last 200 pages in one sitting.
The Hunger Games is crazy addictive! Last week I rushed home from work, picked up the third book in the series and read...for seven hours...straight.
Also, I'm firmly in the pro-Special Topics in Calamity Physics camp, but I agree that it drags a bit in the second half.
Hunger Games is next on my Kindle- right after The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I love my Kindle. Know why? Cause when I decided to get this book, I ordered it and had it in a minute.
Turning it off for a few minutes during take off and landing is fine with me... because I've got my eyes squeezed shut and I'm gripping the seat handles so tightly and trying to take deep, calming breaths... can't read anyway!
Post a Comment