For just under a year, Stephen has been living and working out in sunny California. I am a terrible sister because I haven't made my way West to visit since last October, when he first returned from Afghanistan.
Now, he's heading back.
For someone who is not actually deploying, but will be spending the next seven months thinking, praying and missing someone who is, it is a stressful time. This 2nd deployment feels different from his first in some ways, and very much the same in others. I've been talking with, texting, emailing, and facebook messaging my brother as much as possible in the past week knowing his internet and phone connections will soon be slim to none. I've started tucking away ideas for his care packages, planning when I can send certain items to help him remember we're all thinking of him every minute of every day.
I try to think of how fast 2010 has been moving and how fast seven months will fly. Before we know it, it'll be May and we'll all be together again, thrilled with his safe return.
I know this.
Stephen reminds me of this, when I forget.
He is so very smart, he has such a good head on his shoulders. He is an excellent Marine.
This I know; this I do not forget.
I don't know how I lucked out the way I did, but I ended up getting the very best brother on the planet. I mean, we all love our families, but I was somehow fortunate to end up with a brother and a best friend, all rolled up into one.
I love him so very, very much.
You be safe, Stevie. We'll see you soon.
4 comments:
You speak for all of us Kelli. Stevie is truly going to the end of the earth, a drab, desolate, desperate land where, in the words of the ancient cartographers, "Monsters Be There". However, Stevie is a good, smart Marine, well trained and equipped. Before you know it, he will be back with his pictures, stories, and beloved cars. Until that happy day, we will give him all the support humanly possible and trust in God to bring him home safely.
Our love and prayers go with Stephen and his Marines. I am so glad you and Stephen love and cherish one another as family should. I love you both immensely! Great picture of the two of you.
That is such a great picture of the two of you. What a wonderful post about your brother.
7 months will fly by... I mean just think... how many books will you have read for that book club?? :)
Great photo, and touching post, Kelli. I can't imagine how proud and worried you are!
Post a Comment