Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kismet, the College Edition

Despite the fact that I’m running extremely late for work, I stop into the nearby Dunkin Donuts to order my usual large coffee. I step in line behind a co-worker, who is also running late, and we begin chatting. She offers me a ride when we leave the store and even though it’s only five blocks, I accept. In her car she tells me a story about running into an old friend from college just that morning. “It was the weirdest thing. I’m on the elevator, leaving my doctor’s office on the 13th floor of the building. It stops on the 9th floor and who gets on? This guy I was friends with in school who I haven’t seen in 10 years!”

I’m left slightly speechless as she tells me this tale, exclaiming about the odds of running into him and what a random coincidence it was that they’d be – not only in the same building – but in the same elevator at the same time.

When she and I parted ways at the elevator, I laugh. “Fate can be such a funny thing!” I call to her over my shoulder.

Later that same day I’m downtown. My mouth is numb; I’ve just left the dentist office after having an old filling replaced. I round a street corner to head back to my office and walk past a man on his cell phone. Instantly, I realize that I know him but can’t place him. Baffled, I duck into a CVS to ponder him for just a moment, running through various names and places in my head. (College? An old job? A friend’s ex?) I stand facing a row of granola bar boxes, fingers tapping my lips, mulling. The mystery man walks up next to me. “Kelli, right?”

“I’m sorry, do I know you? You look so familiar.”

“Sure, yeah. It’s Joey, your old RA.”

“Joey! RIGHT! I KNEW I knew you! I was pretty sure you were a BU face, but I was starting to doubt myself. Gosh, I haven’t seen you in what, ten years?”

And so we catch up on jobs, locations, living arrangements, and life. We part ways and I hurry back to my office, amazed at the odds that kismet would throw not one, but two 10 year, college related reunions among co-workers around in a single day.

Oh world. Oh life and the mysterious ways in which you move. These kind of moments? They make me fall in love with you all over again.

2 comments:

heidikins said...

Two weeks ago I got in an elevator at my Aunt's apartment building and ran straight into my drop-dead gorgeous ex-boyfriend...from 9 years ago. I hadn't seen or heard from him since then and was baffled to see him nonchalantly riding up to the 26th floor. Numbers were exchanged.

Kismet, I love you. ;)

xox

MOM said...

One never knows what the day will bring. Keep that in mind and life will never be dull.