In fact, the same thing happened with the (ugh) Twilight books. Sure, I’ll defend Robert Pattinson’s dreaminess any day of the week, but those books every other female on the planet devoured so quickly? No dice. In fact, when I reached the point where I decided sticking forks in my eyeballs might be more fun than reading anymore of Stephanie Meyer’s unedited ramblings I decided to just go ahead and call it quits. It was time to accept the fact that I wasn’t going to “get” this trend either.
So you can imagine, when a friend of mine suggested I read The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins because it was “so good, you will not be able to stop reading it, it’s fascinating and also amazing” I was a tad skeptical. Truthfully, I probably would have drug my heels even more in regards to picking up a copy of the first book out of sheer stubbornness except for the fact that it became a book club selection in September.
You might recall that I mentioned my (growing) obsession a tiny bit earlier this Fall. But really, what I want to tell you – what I want to make very clear is: you must read this book. Because it is in fact, “so good, you will not be able to stop reading it; it’s fascinating and also amazing.” No really. It is. I cross my heart that after the first chapter or two you will stop thinking about important things like eating and sleeping. All you will want to do is READ.
I just finished the second book in the series, Catching Fire, on Monday night. So now it’s on to the third and final book, Mockingjay.
But here’s the catch. Mockingjay is the final book in the trilogy. When I finished The Hunger Games, I didn’t have a copy of Catching Fire at home so I made myself read a few other books in between. Then a friend loaned me both Catching Fire and Mockingjay simultaneously; which means, as I type this, I am glancing over my left shoulder, looking at the book that holds all that’s left of the trilogy and wondering how long I can restrain myself before cracking it open.
Catching Fire was like the Saturday of a weekend. You can fully enjoy every minute because you know you’ve still got Sunday ahead of you as well. I didn’t mind (not that I could have helped myself) plowing through it because I knew, all along, that I had a third book waiting for me – one that promised to be just as fulfilling as the previous two.
But now? Now it’s Sunday. And while there’s a part of me that is dying to scurry home, pull on comfy clothes, and not move from my couch until I’ve finished the book, there is another side of me that knows I need to take a deep breath and force myself to take a little break. Because it’s all going to be over far, far too soon. And then where will I be?
So I finally get it, Harry Potter fans. I never stood in line with you at midnight, I wasn’t part of the masses reading book 7 in hardcover. I’ve only ever seen the first movie. I have no solid opinions on characters, plot lines, or endings.
But these Hunger Games? With them, I am a true believer.
5 comments:
Yay! YA lit for the win! Now we just have to wait to see who gets cast for the movie... and let's pray it's not Kristen Stewart.
Hmmm...I'm not sure how I should take this post. First of all, let me say I'm sad you're not enthralled with your iPhone. But perhaps it just means you have greater perspective than the rest of us :)
In regard to this post, although I have only read the first two Harry Potter books I did enjoy them and I'm thinking about reading the rest (I hear they are better).
BUT...I'm afraid I'm one of the masses who tried to get you to read the Twilight series and was shocked when you returned from your trip with such a bad taste for the book. So...does that mean I'll like The Hunger Games...or I won't?
If it's THAT GOOD, can I borrow it? Do you think I'd like it? Finishing "A Reliable Wife" today.
I totally relate to this post on every level. I'm actually a big HP fan...but I also HATED Twilight. And then I read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" that everyone is obsessed with, and i was just kind of meh about it. I was starting to wonder if I was just hopelessly out of touch with popular culture. But then I picked up "The Hunger Games" and I love, love, love this series. It's one of those things where I wish I could unread them to have the experience of reading them for the first time again. I'd love to know what you think about the conclusion, but if you have the self-restraint to slow down and savor it, then you definitely should.
Post a Comment