As most of you know by now, I keep a running list of the books I've read throughout the year. It's funny, the things you start without giving them much thought; and then one day you realize they might be one of the best traditions you've got going. I love looking back through these lists every year, recalling which reads were favorites, which ones I'd recommend in a heartbeat, and...which ones I wish I'd never cracked open. I like recalling what was going on in my life when I was reading certain novels; thinking about where I was or what I was doing as another world unfolded among the pages.
I made it through 22 books this year, which is on par with my other annual lists. I'm adding a 23rd with a little asterisk. I've got about 120 pages to go in Great House and I have the utmost confidence I'll finish it off before the calendar officially turns to a new decade.
My favorite read of the year? Easy. The Hunger Games. I adored the whole trilogy, but if I'm to pick just one I have to go with the first one in the series. (But rest assured they are ALL amazing.)
Runner(s)-Up? The Power of One and Peace Like a River. Both fabulous.
And the worst read? Based on this 2010 list? I have to go with Special Topics and Calamity Physics. All in all, this was a pretty stellar year for reading and I didn't hit on too many duds. (Great thing #345 about growing up: recognizing a bad book about 50 or 60 pages in and knowing life's too short to keep pushing yourself to get through it.) Still, it took me a LONG time to get through this book and there's a part of me that would have rather spent that time reading something else. But, eh? Now I know.
So, here she is - The Annual Book List. Do you have favorites of your own from this year? Let's hear 'em!
2010 Books
1.) Sarah’s Key – Tatiana de Rosnay
2.) The Call of the Wild – Jack London
3.) Peace Like a River – Leif Enger
4.) We Need to Talk About Kevin – Lionel Shriver
5.) The Gathering – Anne Enright
6.) The Power of One – Bryce Courtenay
7.) Meeting Your Half-Orange – Amy Spencer
8.) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Steig Larsson
9.) Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing – Lydia Peelle
10,) Boston Noir – Edited by Dennis Lehane
11.) Number the Stars – Lois Lowry
12.) The Big House – George Howe Colt
13.) The Geography of Bliss – Eric Weiner
14.) The Devil’s Arithmetic – Jane Yolen
15.) Special Topics in Calamity Physics – Marisha Pessl
16.) One Day – David Nicholls
17.) The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
18.) The Art of Racing in the Rain – Garth Stein
19.) The Girl Who Played With Fire – Steig Larsson
20.) Interpreter of Maladies – Jhumpa Lahiri
21.) Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
22.) Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins
23.) Great House - Nicole Krauss
1.) Sarah’s Key – Tatiana de Rosnay
2.) The Call of the Wild – Jack London
3.) Peace Like a River – Leif Enger
4.) We Need to Talk About Kevin – Lionel Shriver
5.) The Gathering – Anne Enright
6.) The Power of One – Bryce Courtenay
7.) Meeting Your Half-Orange – Amy Spencer
8.) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Steig Larsson
9.) Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing – Lydia Peelle
10,) Boston Noir – Edited by Dennis Lehane
11.) Number the Stars – Lois Lowry
12.) The Big House – George Howe Colt
13.) The Geography of Bliss – Eric Weiner
14.) The Devil’s Arithmetic – Jane Yolen
15.) Special Topics in Calamity Physics – Marisha Pessl
16.) One Day – David Nicholls
17.) The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
18.) The Art of Racing in the Rain – Garth Stein
19.) The Girl Who Played With Fire – Steig Larsson
20.) Interpreter of Maladies – Jhumpa Lahiri
21.) Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
22.) Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins
23.) Great House - Nicole Krauss
1 comment:
I loved The Power of One, such a FANTASTIC read!
xox
Post a Comment