Monday, December 20, 2010

A Snowfall Kind of Love.

Today, around two o'clock, I caught sight of the first Boston snowflakes to fall this season, on this last day of autumn. That's when the first snowfall counts, right? When you, personally, catch sight of those initial, quiet, perfect, little white fluffs swirling around and around outside. Tonight, I sit in front of my bedroom window, typing away, a cup of warm tea beside me, watching the snow continue to fall outside; staring as it swirls and lifts and mesmerizes in the street lights before falling to the ground.

There's a neighbor in the street below me, shoveling out his car. Yes, the shoveling will come; as will the chilly - sometimes frustratingly difficult - walks to and from the T. We will tire of the snow - watching it turn brown, then grey, and finally black before it eventually melts away. Yes, that will all come. But not now. Not yet. Not with this first snowfall. The first is always the most magical, the most fun. There's excitement in the air. Instead of thinking about my car and snowplows and all of the winter hassles that come with a white winter, I'd rather just sit and watch the world grow quiet; hushed by the snow.

I finished my Christmas shopping this weekend. It was time, both for my sanity and my wallet to put a period at the end of that holiday shopping sentence, to know that my weeks of playing Elf this year were ready draw to a close. I've spent Sunday afternoons filling out my beloved Christmas cards, drinking plenty of tea and hot chocolate. I've been busy sampling any and all baked goods that make their way into my home and the office, I've made it to my share of holiday parties and festivities. 'Tis the Season, Ho Ho Ho. It's a week of wrapping things up in the office and at home, I'm doing my best to dot all of my i's and cross my t's before I visit with my family for the holiday. I'm looking forward to the peace, the quiet that surrounds us all for a few days - moments we can find only if we're patient enough to catch them. And instead of rushing through the tail end of the year as I always seem to do, I'd like to slow down, to savor it.

So for now - before the list of all I want to get done before the end of 2010 rears up again - I'll stand just a minute longer at my window, watching the snowflakes fall, counting my blessings.

And I'll save the shoveling for another day.

No comments: