We were fortunate to have a few items - like a kitchen table and some outdoor patio furniture. My cousin, who lives nearby, brought over a coffee pot, bath towels, linens, and the like. The Thanksgiving dinner came together somehow - rather miraculously actually - complete with wine served in plastic cups for all 21 guests. We spread tablecloths over the two tables we had, squeezed all the guests around in an otherwise empty room and we ate well.
By the time I got back to my apartment on Sunday I was desperate for a real, elevated bed, a sofa, some pictures hanging on the walls, to drink out of a real glass versus a plastic disposable one. I don't mean to sound aloof or materialistic. Of course I was happy to see my relatives and was really glad to get a few days of time in with my Dad - but Sunday night, as I sipped a mug of tea while standing in my kitchen and surveying the room in the glow of the white Christmas lights I have strung around the window, I realized just how much stuff makes up a home. Yes, the people are important. But so is the well-worn, slightly wobbly green kitchen table, the cat's white food dish on the floor in the corner, the pitcher brought back from Ireland, the one you were desperately afraid wouldn't survive the trip, the red '50s era cake stand sitting atop your dish cabinet, the one that used to belong to your maternal grandmother.
There's a reason why hotels can feel anonymous, why furniture show-rooms look stiff and formal. Each and everyone of us has a different style, displays various treasured items, and decides - even if unconsciously - what sort of "feel" our house will have. If your home is where your heart is it's also a reflection of who you are and what you love. Spending a few nights in a shell of a house, on an air mattress with a slow leak, just happened to remind me of that.
1 comment:
I am wonderfully comforted by the art on my walls, the books on my shelves, and the 1,000 count sheets on my bed. Nothing to be ashamed of, I've worked hard to make my house my home and I love enjoying it as such. :)
xox
Post a Comment